Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is the skid row offroad skid plate worth it?

Old 05-20-2008, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the skid row offroad skid plate worth it?

I ripped off my OEM Front Skid Plate this past weekend in a mud hole. I have replaced it with the same one and now realize how flimsy the piece is and how poorly it is designed to mount.

I am thinking of getting the Skid Row Offroad skid plate. It is about $65. I don't care for the silver but figure that it is low enough that it really won't stand out.

How does this compare to the factory one in durability and functionality. Will it break as easily as mine did? Mine broke off hile being pulled out of a mud hole. I know it was the weight of the mud that sanpped it off. Will the Skid Row one do the same thing?

I will eventually be getting a new bumper with a steel plate but need to determine what I will do for now.

If you have any pics from below as to how it mounts, they would be appreceiated.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a brand new skid row plate , never mounted that I will sell for $40 plus shipping. I have the front plate mounted to the factory plastic and it will not mount to the skid row plate. Let me know.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Skidrow front skid now comes in black powder coat as well...the jury is out as to its functionality...it's a heavy skid...I think it dresses out the front when the air dam is taken of.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

It doesn't really serve a function as far as I can tell, but it does look alot better....

And it uses actual bolts to mount as opposed to the plastic things.....it bolts to the bottom of the bumper and then to the little bar below the radiator.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

... and you get to pay for their free advertising on the front of your jeep.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08UnlimitedSahara810
I ripped off my OEM Front Skid Plate this past weekend in a mud hole. I have replaced it with the same one and now realize how flimsy the piece is and how poorly it is designed to mount.

I am thinking of getting the Skid Row Offroad skid plate. It is about $65. I don't care for the silver but figure that it is low enough that it really won't stand out.

How does this compare to the factory one in durability and functionality. Will it break as easily as mine did? Mine broke off hile being pulled out of a mud hole. I know it was the weight of the mud that sanpped it off. Will the Skid Row one do the same thing?

I will eventually be getting a new bumper with a steel plate but need to determine what I will do for now.

If you have any pics from below as to how it mounts, they would be appreceiated.
As far as i know, it only serves as a air dam/front spoiler. And offers no protection at all.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't it do something if you have the EDisco's? Otherwise it's a heavy rolling billboard that only a Dustoff '68 could love.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

at least it looks alot better than a big ole' piece of rubbermaid plastic...
Old 05-20-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by seer1
Doesn't it do something if you have the EDisco's? Otherwise it's a heavy rolling billboard that only a Dustoff '68 could love.
nope, it doesnt offer any protection to the disconnect. I think it even says that on their website.

I like my mopar skid (please ignore the stump )

Old 05-20-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it is only a big ole hunk of metal traveling billboard thing that only a Dustoff '68 could love.

Quick Reply: Is the skid row offroad skid plate worth it?