Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

snorkels cause power loss?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snorkels cause power loss?

With the supercharger or does the snorkel cause power loss period, if so how much?

From RIPP: "RIPP has monitored power loss with the snorkel installed so its recommended to use the supplied open filter normally and retain the snorkel for fun. Swaps in moments not minutes."
Old 09-06-2011, 10:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ArmyEng875
With the supercharger or does the snorkel cause power loss period, if so how much?

From RIPP: "RIPP has monitored power loss with the snorkel installed so its recommended to use the supplied open filter normally and retain the snorkel for fun. Swaps in moments not minutes."
well when they dyno test it its sitting in a closed bay with no air flow being forced down the snorkel. So it would be trying to suck air the whole length of the tube instead of having it right at the air cleaner assembly. So on the freeway or at speed you shouldnt have a loss at all. Going slow and rock crawling though, you might lose some too. but thats just what ive come to believe and it is in no way backed up by science.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by danmojo82
well when they dyno test it its sitting in a closed bay with no air flow being forced down the snorkel. So it would be trying to suck air the whole length of the tube instead of having it right at the air cleaner assembly. So on the freeway or at speed you shouldnt have a loss at all. Going slow and rock crawling though, you might lose some too. but thats just what ive come to believe and it is in no way backed up by science.
Yeah, but they dyno'd the SC JK on 35's....so Im guessing it has a small lift, or just flat fenders.. and took it from 120-130WHP to 240WHP.... and if you even lost 20WHP while on a trail, 220WHP is still pretty good.....compared to stock and you dont have to worry about hydro locking. I wish they'd say how much you lost, cus if it was 5-10whp, id take that loss and leave the snorkel hooked up 24/7
Old 09-07-2011, 02:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Yeah, but they dyno'd the SC JK on 35's....so Im guessing it has a small lift, or just flat fenders.. and took it from 120-130WHP to 240WHP.... and if you even lost 20WHP while on a trail, 220WHP is still pretty good.....compared to stock and you dont have to worry about hydro locking. I wish they'd say how much you lost, cus if it was 5-10whp, id take that loss and leave the snorkel hooked up 24/7
I recall reading on FB that it was about a 30 HP loss with the snorkel on a dyno test of the RIPP SC. And I thought the SC gains were closer to 60-70 HP with the CAI. So, you're losing about half your gain (or I'm losing my mind--which is entirely possible!).
Old 09-07-2011, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I read 20hp loss. And the cai isnt really a cai. It's a hot air intake! Lol it's not sectioned off from the rest of the engine so it's sucking engine bay air. I have plans on separating and somehow venting in cool air to the filter.... And as for them testing on the dyno I agree with danmojo82, it's sitting still. It has to draw the air all the way down. I think with a ram air cap and an inline air filter (if they make one) I would only imagine you would gain some. Not much but I don't think it would hurt.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Mr_wiki
I read 20hp loss. ...
Over 30 HP on this video:

youtube.com/watch?v=6xf5nuzHmBM
Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Yeah, but they dyno'd the SC JK on 35's....so Im guessing it has a small lift, or just flat fenders.. and took it from 120-130WHP to 240WHP....
About 88 HP gain (150 stock to 238 modified) in this video (and that's a stage II--with intercooler) ...

youtube.com/watch?v=TrKH2j4yyRs
Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im not saying you guys are wrong but on TRUCKS and i swear i read it on RIPPS site, they said a stock auto dyno'd at 130 and the SC with full exhaust put out 240 to the wheels?

Hmmmm

Ripp does make a canister intake to go with a snorkel...... 30hp is A LOT though, that means when you're trailing at slow speeds, you have a 5000 add on that's only half working.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
About 88 HP gain (150 stock to 238 modified) in this video (and that's a stage II--with intercooler) ...

youtube.com/watch?v=TrKH2j4yyRs
other than the SC, thats stock... a full exhaust with LT headers would really show a big difference
Old 09-07-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The snorkle will cause a power loss through pressure increases in the intact tract. Evrytime there is a bend or cure in the airbox, itake tube, or snorkle, there is a pressure increase, and inturn a loss in power. This is even more so on a spupercharged engine. Decreasing restrictions in the intake tract will bring the power back up. Sucking warm/hot air from under the hood will loose you less power than the restrictive snorkle will. Plus, if it's a RIPP Gen 2 with intercooler, the hot air is a moot point, as it's going to get cooled by the intercooler, which is rather efficient on the RIPP setup.

Last edited by highoctane; 09-07-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: snorkels cause power loss?