Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft top help, Bestop or OEM?

Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft top help, Bestop or OEM?

So my Sister Mother and I are buying my dad a sunrider soft top for xmas this year for his 2010 2 door, what do you guys recomend do I search around the forums ebay and craigslist for a new MOPAR soft top, or just snag him a bestop one, is there any difference, does the bestop fold half way like the mopar?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about it folding the same on a 2 door, but the ones I see on 4 doors are never as nice as the OEM ones. If it we my Jeep, I'd want an OEM one.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have you considered the TrekTop from Bestop?

I'm shopping for a new 2011 right now (trying to decide between ordering a White Sahara or going with Mango Tango or Tan - - - darn colors).

I'm going to get the hard top since it will be good for most of the year, but parts of the year I'll want the soft top. The TrekTop runs between $500-$600 so it's a lot less than even the Bestop Sunrider tops (~$900 and some change).

I like the look of the TrekTop as well - no extra bow hardware or drilling required.

Just something to think about...
Old 10-21-2010, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

The OEM top is a Bestop top....
Old 10-22-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Bestop trektop

I personally like the Trektop for a soft top and am going to order it this weekend. It looks like it is easy to put up and down, since it has no frame like a standard soft top. The roof also rolls back to have the top over the cab down without having to fuss with the rear windows.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just firmed up my deal on a 2011. Had I ordered I think I would have done hard top only and then later bought the trek top. However the only one I could find in my color close by had the dual top group, which is ok by me since I will want a soft option for summer. I might go trek top if i ever have to replace the factory soft top.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by geoffcwilson
The OEM top is a Bestop top....
Bestop makes the OEM top for MOPAR but it is of a thicker and heavier material than the aftermarket Bestop version.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea that is true as I have the sunrider for my 2 door 2010 and it came with untinted windows, so i decided to pick up bestop tinted windows and the material is not as nice and even the velcro is cheap compared as the OEM. I really recommend getting the OEM if you can as its such a better quality.
As far as the trektop.. looks AWFUL on a 2 door but looks sweet on the 4 door.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just put a brand new OEM soft top on my 09 jk and i can't complain. No leaks, not too noisy, only problem is I haven't been able to properly get the side windows to align with the doors
Old 10-23-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Try a local dealer...I just bought a Mopar OEM soft top for my 4 door Rubicon for $600. It was a take off from a Jeep they sold and the guy wanted a hardtop instead. Before I found this I did a lot of research and choose to stick with the OEM one for the perfect fit and the sunrider fold back top option.

Quick Reply: Soft top help, Bestop or OEM?