Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft Top for Summer Fun

Old 05-08-2010, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top for Summer Fun

When I bought my '07 I was young and was not very good at bargaining with the dealership. Needless to say I drove my new Jeep off the lot without a soft top. Now a few years later Im getting sick of stripping the hard top and am looking for a SOFT TOP!

There are so many options out there, so I was just looking for some input regarding best bang for my buck in terms of an easy top to take up and down for nice days!

Also, is the soft top boot recquired?

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good move no factory soft top, get a Trek top you wont regret it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubi with trek top 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	65813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubi with hitch 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	65814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubi with trek top 1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	65815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apr 9 2010 Silver to Green.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	65816   Click image for larger version

Name:	April 5 2009 trektop 002.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	65817  

Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

The slanted back looks pretty cool, is it easy to take up and down? Its just that Ive never really seen the trek tops in person.

Does it recquire the boot to zip it in or does it have a different system?
Old 05-09-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it easy to take off and put on, and i'm sure others will find the factory top easy. I just roll it up and lay it behind the seats, no boot but i'm sure one could be made for it. good luck on your choice.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mariner
good move no factory soft top, get a Trek top you wont regret it
I heard that due to the slope of the back, the Trektop gets worse gas mileage due to the drag on the back tire. True?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 AM
JK Super Freak

i didnt get a soft top with my jeep either, i bought a trek top last summer and hated it, besides the good looks it sucked...super noisy, flapped all over the place and leaked. I sent it back a couple weeks later. I just recently got a brand new factory top off craigslist for a great deal and love it, so much better than the trek top. may not have to cool slant back look, but its much more functional. plus its really nice to be able to take all the windows out and drive around which you cant do with the trektop.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:26 AM
JK Super Freak

i didnt get a soft top with my jeep either, i bought a trek top last summer and hated it, besides the good looks it sucked...super noisy, flapped all over the place and leaked. I sent it back a couple weeks later. I just recently got a brand new factory top off craigslist for a great deal and love it, so much better than the trek top. may not have to cool slant back look, but its much more functional. plus its really nice to be able to take all the windows out and drive around which you cant do with the trektop.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 07Rubi2dr
Thanks this helped a lot. I think I will go with a factory top. I didnt think about zipping out the windows, a great alternative!!

Any companies to watch out for? I think I can get BestTop from a local offroad shop...But either way Im looking around $1000-$1500 does that sound about right for a top new?

Last edited by JTEE07SAHARA; 05-12-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JTEE07SAHARA
Thanks this helped a lot. I think I will go with a factory top. I didnt think about zipping out the windows, a great alternative!!

Any companies to watch out for? I think I can get BestTop from a local offroad shop...But either way Im looking around $1000-$1500 does that sound about right for a top new?
I ordered mine for my 2010 JKU on Mon.

It was $1240 at my dealer.

There are other deals out there (eBay, etc) ...but it is an exspensive bulky item to ship, and I wanted to maximize my free time, so I went this route.

I believe list is $1500.

Don't beat yourself up. I also saw no need for dualtops. Man was I wrong. Oh well, hopefully my soft top will be here soon
Old 05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
JK Freak

The sunrider feature is pretty nifty too... I actually won a GPS by taking the soft top down in less than a minute... not the fastest by any means, but a minute to go topless isn't that bad.

Quick Reply: Soft Top for Summer Fun