Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft Tops in Winter

Old 12-19-2013, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dblcrona

Mine is a 2013 that I bought used about a month ago with only 13K miles on it. I can already say that after less than a month I'm hooked on Jeeps. I'll probably always on one as well.
Awesome! Keep on jeepin'...!
Old 12-19-2013, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Soft top and windows

I have been running only a soft top and half doors (soft uppers) for 10+ years. The old TJ would get a little cold. The JK heater is almost too much. Blasts hot air. Never had a single issue with it being too cold.

But... I did crack a window once up in Estes Park. Was right at 0 degree F, put a ski in from the front and it went right through the back window. And it was not a rip. The back window cracked into pieces. That was a Bestop on the TJ, not that brand was an issue. The soft windows just get super stiff in really cold weather.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Schlieko
I have been running only a soft top and half doors (soft uppers) for 10+ years. The old TJ would get a little cold. The JK heater is almost too much. Blasts hot air. Never had a single issue with it being too cold. But... I did crack a window once up in Estes Park. Was right at 0 degree F, put a ski in from the front and it went right through the back window. And it was not a rip. The back window cracked into pieces. That was a Bestop on the TJ, not that brand was an issue. The soft windows just get super stiff in really cold weather.
My other car is a 2000 BMW Z3 Roadster so I am familiar with how stiff the plastic windows get in cold weather. Not that I drive the Z3 much in the winter.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

I'm in PA also. I just traded my 2012 JKU w/dual tops for a 2014 2dr with just a soft top. I've only owned the new Jeep 1 week and it's been snow and ice almost every day. I'm concerned that the ice buildup could cause excessive wear on the top canvas and plastic windows. I have no issues with heat, it heats up fast inside. I didn't want to store the hard top and pay for it this go around. I'm just hoping the soft top looks presentable and doesn't leak for several years.

Quick Reply: Soft Tops in Winter