Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Some Questions befor i buy my jk

Old 07-16-2009, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Questions befor i buy my jk

So, I definitely am getting an unlimited, theres no question there.

I'd like to know a couple things before i take the plunge....

Currently I'm looking at two unlimiteds around the same price.

2007 black unlimited x, auto, 25k miles, factory half doors, sahara side step bar, rubicon wheels/tires, and some other things, oh and both factory tops...
this is a private seller here... around 20k cost

2008 rescue green sahara unlimited, auto, 24k miles, full doors, power group, infinity audio, sahara side step bar, stock sahara wheels/tires,
this is from a local cdj dealer, ...... around 20k cost.

as you can see, the cost isnt the detirmining factor for either, and i'll be dropping about 8k down and financing the rest. i've never financed a car before so idk the diff between private and dealer.

firstly i'd like some opinions, which would y'all get?
i love the look of half doors, and in every car i drive i have all the windows down always, even in light rain, and when we had a "snow storm" last year... i like open air.... clearly i can just remove the doors entirely, but idk about driving doorless, this is my first jeep and i've never ridden in one, only test driven a couple so far...

If i go w/ the 08 w/ all the cushy options, what all is involved in removing the full doors? since they have power windows and locks, does this make anything tricky or wierd?

I like the factory half doors the best, but i dont mind the look of some of the after market ones like the tubes or best top or what have you....

just any advice would be nice, thanks fellas.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

the full doors are real easy to take off. just pull the one connection apart and unhook the strap and lift. do you have a garage to hang them on the wall?

you could always get the half doors and if ya dont like them someone on here will trade ya. they are really rare so you would have no problem finding a trade. and you could always take the bottom halfs off just like the full doors(just lighter).

congrats on deciding to get a jeep. now start practicing the jeep wave
Old 07-16-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just an FYI, I bought my black 2007 X a few weeks ago. It had 20,000 miles on it and I picked it up for $15,xxx from a dealer (no trade in)... Just thought I'd share, so that hopefully you get a good deal
Old 07-16-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

yeah man, some of these deals just sound awesome that you guys have been getting from dealers.

the dealer has the 08 rescue green listed for 21991, honestly this is the first car i'm buying myself, 19 years old.... I "familiy financed" my first car and paid back my pops for it over the course of a year or so... also i have no credit history. so i'd have to put a sizeable amount down, which will be the 8k or so i plan on getting from my rsx sale.

you think i can talk the dealer down to 17k? if that, that would be a no brainer.
its much harder talking down private sellers...

quadracer12, when you say pull the one connection apart, do you mean the cable or whatever is there that connects all teh power options?
if so that sounds great.
i might have to go w/ the full doors then and just try and find a jk unlimited w/ half doors for salvage, or just buy aftermarket doors...

hm, i had a thought earlier today, you know those nets you can get to put on the top or the back.... are there just "net" or "mesh" half doors?
that sounds like it would be neat....

a concern i have about non solid half doors, or no doors at all would be that i'm constantly transporting things in my trunk and i fully intend to fold down the back seats and use the entire "flat bed" quite often.

also, being able to do the jeep wave is what sold me on a jeep in the first place, lol, no but really.... cant wait for that first wave i get/give.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

well, i'm not trading the rsx regardless....
the dealers are all really lowballing me, i can easily fetch 2 or so extra thousand from selling it myself.

couple other dealers offered my 5600 and not a dime more, i got cash offers for 7300+ within an hour of posting it up on craigs, plus there are buyers considering my asking price (8999) pending a test drive and what not.. so i just dont want to waste my time with the trade in, you feel me?

i think at this point, unless i find a really well priced private seller, or they want to trade for the rsx, then i'll have to buy from a dealer.... dealer seems to be offering the best deals to move them off the lot, atleast that seems to be the consensus from what i've been reading....

but yeah i'm leaning more toward the sahara...

well, that seems to narrow that decision down....
with the down payment of 8k or so, and then payments of hopefully around 200-250, I'm trying to budget 1k or so off the bat for customizing/upgrading things... i'm sure i'll end up dropping hundreds more down the line, but i figure 1k isnt bad....

to be honest, i wont be offroading too much just yet, just the occasional trail w/ my 4x4 obsessed buddies and then of course going off road to get to various locations where we play airsoft... but that would be about it. for now

so i'm not gearing the 1k toward off road accessories.

that said, what would y'all reccomend?
maybe audio, but its got the infinity system already, which sounded decent during the test drive, might want more bass, but idk.
I was planning an epic carpc build for my rsx before the wrangler bug bit me... so i suppose i could tweak the build and tailor it more towards teh jk...

idk any reccomendations or ideas would help.
thanks fellas.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Go with the Sahara! 20K seems high for a 2007, I just got a brand new 2008 Sahara with 100 miles for 26K. It took several days of torturing the salesman, but it was worth it. I know up here in Seattle there are still quite a few new 2008's on the lot and they're dying to get rid of them. I'd go full doors myself, although the dual tops is cool too. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I think the Sahara is a better deal because it is a year newer. Also, it doesn't hurt to have a dealer you can go back to if you have a problem with the vehicle. He might make it right for little or no cost, a private party probably won't. Also, starting a relationship with a dealer and their mechanics is always a good thing if you need help in the future. And finally, you may have a better trade in value in the future with a newer vehicle.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Some thoughts:

1. 20K seems high for the 07. But, did the owner put some mod's on? Lift, tires, etc? Consider that carefully as you compare these vehicles.

2. If you off-road in brush you may rue those painted fenders on the Sahara. If you off-road on rocks, you'll definitely rue the steps.

3. If you want to cover things up in the back, with the seats down, there is a tonneau-like cover that can do that. I think it's actually put together from the Bestop Duster and another cover to fill in the rest. There's also a mat that can be placed over the area to make it appear as one, solid floor (covers the gap at the seat hinge point).

4. If you really want half doors, maybe something after-market will suit your taste. I prefer tube doors, so went with them. But, Bestop makes tube doors that panels can be attached to and painted to match the vehicle. Probably a lot cheaper than half doors from Mopar/individual buyer.

5. I'd be surprised it the private seller will finance your purchase. I'd suggest joining a credit union. Your dad should be able to help you out with some advice in this area. If he suggests the bank he's been with . . . (/rant mode: ON) tell him you'd rather join a credit union. Banks are better at trying to figure out new ways to trick people out of their money than serving their financial needs. Credit unions are owned by the members. (/rant mode: OFF)

6. You're buying a Jeep. Never, never call it a car.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

You should know that there is more leg room in the front on the 2 door.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by apache137
So, I definitely am getting an unlimited, theres no question there.

I'd like to know a couple things before i take the plunge....

Currently I'm looking at two unlimiteds around the same price.

2007 black unlimited x, auto, 25k miles, factory half doors, sahara side step bar, rubicon wheels/tires, and some other things, oh and both factory tops...
this is a private seller here... around 20k cost

2008 rescue green sahara unlimited, auto, 24k miles, full doors, power group, infinity audio, sahara side step bar, stock sahara wheels/tires,
this is from a local cdj dealer, ...... around 20k cost.

as you can see, the cost isnt the detirmining factor for either, and i'll be dropping about 8k down and financing the rest. i've never financed a car before so idk the diff between private and dealer.

firstly i'd like some opinions, which would y'all get?
i love the look of half doors, and in every car i drive i have all the windows down always, even in light rain, and when we had a "snow storm" last year... i like open air.... clearly i can just remove the doors entirely, but idk about driving doorless, this is my first jeep and i've never ridden in one, only test driven a couple so far...

If i go w/ the 08 w/ all the cushy options, what all is involved in removing the full doors? since they have power windows and locks, does this make anything tricky or wierd?

I like the factory half doors the best, but i dont mind the look of some of the after market ones like the tubes or best top or what have you....

just any advice would be nice, thanks fellas.
I love the rescue green, but I would go for the 1/2 doors, no question. I had and unlimited (rescue green) with 1/2 doors and miss it every time I am in my full door sahara.

Quick Reply: Some Questions befor i buy my jk