Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sooo, how are you finding the new pentastar?

Old 11-23-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sooo, how are you finding the new pentastar?

I will be ordering my new rubi in 4 months or so, and I wondering how you like the pentastar motor so far. I drove the auto, but I will be going with the 6 speed. Is it quite different than the previous motor? Is the navigation worth it, or should I just do my own aftermarket system. Thanks!!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Engine is night and day difference. I had an 07 Rubi auto 4.10 gears. Now have 12 Rubi auto 4.10 gears. Test drive only noticed a small difference. have 850 miles and notice differences every time I drive it. I drive pretty slow and easy, but when I give it the gas or take it in the mud with the 4x4 engaged it really does stand out against my memories of the 07. I m really glad I got it. As i tell my wife all the time, this Jeep is what I would drive even if I won the lottery. Seriously, I love it that much. As for the Nav ... wife wanted it. I would have been fine mounting a portable unit on the dash or something. Then I could upgrade every other year. It works ok though. I have used better, but with the hard drive for music and it being built in so looks good, if the budget allows for it then I guess its worth it. I just find that a lot of small back roads are not labeled. When ive used other units those same roads show up.

Again, the engine and trans are worth it. 6 speed will probably be even more fun.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

cool man, I have a garmin handheld gps with a backroads sd card in it and its awesome, every little trail and road is on it, so im happy with that, but your right, the cool screen looks pretty tech in there. From what I hear, the pentastar is the cats meoww, so ill be stoked to get one in a couple months. Now I just cant decide on the color. Saw a bronze 70th anniversary one today, wow, looks really nice, but I really cant decide on a color, too many lol!!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

I have an 09 stick rubi unlimited - I test drove the new engine and wasn't quite as impressed as everyone else, however, it is a nice upgrade from my 09. First I thought from 0-25 there was no difference but the mid-range power was clearly better. It would pull to 80 pretty easy but struggled from the 80+. I keep going back to the difference between my Acura mdx and my wrangler - same size engine but even the pentastar is FAR behind the Acura. I know they are not in the same category, but extremely noticeable bouncing between vehicles. I would also skip on the nav - also wasn't impressed. I got to say I thought the new interior was fantastic.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Love my Jeep. Love the pentastar, see pics in my signature.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had numerous nav systems , the 730N is by far the best I've ever seen. Clear, user-friendly, has never steared me wrong! Worth every dollar!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

My last jeep was an 03 rubi so driving my new baby is awesome! One thing that surprises me is the sound of the motor when you romp on it a bit, it just sounds mean even stock. Not sure if I'd want a 40 series flowmaster or anything though LOL.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by trippnk
My last jeep was an 03 rubi so driving my new baby is awesome! One thing that surprises me is the sound of the motor when you romp on it a bit, it just sounds mean even stock. Not sure if I'd want a 40 series flowmaster or anything though LOL.
right on, i too have an 03 that i have up for sale, and im looking forward to getting into a new rubi. My 03 has been fantastic though, no problems and I really hate to give it up, but a growing family comes first lol!!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BrettDez
Love my Jeep. Love the pentastar, see pics in my signature.
Nice color man, thats cool, im tossing around a few colors, not sure though. What size lift and brand are you running? So the 2012 is def worth it eh?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:36 PM
JK Super Freak

The only thing I did not like about the manual trans in the newer ones is that the clutch pedal is a feather. When you are depressing the clutch its like there is nothing there. That's just me though. Regardless you will like it a lot.

Quick Reply: Sooo, how are you finding the new pentastar?