Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sooo slow!!! What have you done to boost performance! Tell us!

Old 07-14-2013, 02:50 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome jeep ownerIf want more power try a Prius
Old 07-14-2013, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have a 3.8 instead of putting money in it maybe look at a LSX swap? Time you do a supercharger would be close to spending the same money?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2013, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28
If you have a 3.8 instead of putting money in it maybe look at a LSX swap? Time you do a supercharger would be close to spending the same money?

That's kinda the reason I started this thread. Unfortunately most of us can't afford the swap. As much as I would like to do it, I just wanted to see how people were making the best of what they had. I still don't get why they don't come with a v8 option! What else does everyone have for ideas?! I've heard supercharger, superchips, what else u got!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKphotoshoot

I never had a problem doing the program. I actually toned it down some!!!
I went into the throttle percentage and took a little out.

The only thing I plan on doing now is a Airaid intake, and probably the screaming demon coils and wires.
Figure it will at least make it a hair more responsive on the throttle.
Can't wait to try it! Where did u get yours from?
Old 07-14-2013, 05:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakejk

That's kinda the reason I started this thread. Unfortunately most of us can't afford the swap. As much as I would like to do it, I just wanted to see how people were making the best of what they had. I still don't get why they don't come with a v8 option! What else does everyone have for ideas?! I've heard supercharger, superchips, what else u got!
There really isn't much you can do to these engines to make you say "wow!! That's MUCH better" other than engine swap or supercharger/ turbo. The money you put out for exhaust, intake and super chips really isn't worth it unless you have money to burn. Just my 2 cents. However, the tuner does allow you to tweak some cool features
Old 07-14-2013, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28

Before you lay out any cash drive whatever it is you intend to purchase; whether it be a SC, CAI, tuner, etc.

There is a lot of wasted $'s on the 3.8. We are currently removing three superchargers to install LS's in JK's. With tuner, headers, exhaust, labor, etc, these SC's can cost over $10k and it will never be a V8. That's $30k that could have been put towards a V8.

I took a ride with one owner today whose taking delivery of his 2 door tomorrow with a 6.2, he was very happy and just shook his head regarding the $10k he spent on the SC.

A SC or tuner might work for you, drive one first. I remove performance mods for the 3.8 all the time and it frustrates me and I'm not the owner.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by VEGASROBBI; 07-14-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
Before you lay out any cash drive whatever it is you intend to purchase; whether it be a SC, CAI, tuner, etc.

There is a lot of wasted $'s on the 3.8. We are currently removing three superchargers to install LS's in JK's. With tuner, headers, exhaust, labor, etc, these SC's can cost over $10k and it will never be a V8. That's $30k that could have been put towards a V8.

I took a ride with one owner today whose taking delivery of his 2 door tomorrow with a 6.2, he was very happy and just shook his head regarding the $10k he spent on the SC.

A SC or tuner might work for you, drive one first. I remove performance mods for the 3.8 all the time and it frustrates me and I'm not the owner.

so do you guys resale any of those SC kits you remove or does it go back to the owner? LS is nice but all it ever seems to be is automatic swaps i havent seen any that work with the man 6 speed.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo

so do you guys resale any of those SC kits you remove or does it go back to the owner? LS is nice but all it ever seems to be is automatic swaps i havent seen any that work with the man 6 speed.
I agree with you there. I'd take my 6 speed stock or supercharged pentastar over an auto LS anyday
Old 07-14-2013, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
The SC's belong to the owners, most sell them to recoup some costs .

With the 6 speed automatic 6l80 there is less reason to run a manual. The 6l80 has both a manual and automatic mode, is low friction, adaptive, has rpm match shifting and a diverse gear range with two overdrives.

That being said we support the stock 6 speed manual with the 5.3. We have manual options for the 6.0 and 6.2 also. Most customers choose the automatic, it's great on and off road. "Most" drivers do better off road with an auto and there is little or no mpg benefit with the manual like in the old days.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202
I agree with you there. I'd take my 6 speed stock or supercharged pentastar over an auto LS anyday
The thing with a LS is the aftermarket. Also they respond so well to mods. I am a big Chevy guy that bought a Jeep. I really like the 3.6 but if I had a 3.8 I would look at doing a LS swap. I know a local guy that put a 5.3 in a 2,500lb drag car ran a turbo and stock long block and was running 8's in the quarter.

Quick Reply: Sooo slow!!! What have you done to boost performance! Tell us!