Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Speed bumps

Old 10-28-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The real question is how much runway is there leading up to it? With the 3.8 I don't think you can get much over 5 mph without room to get a run at it. :o

Once you do get up to speed though I would hit the brakes and slow down before hitting it unless everything in the Jeep is secured and you have a mouth guard in.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really?

Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 PM
JK Newbie

Lol at this question.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:52 AM
JK Junkie

Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Over the years, I've found that 6.75 mph is the optimal speed for speed bumps with a width of 2.5 - 3.5 feet and variable height of up to 4 inches. No faster, no slower. In the early YJ design, speed bumps were highly underestimated. The leaf spring suspension that carried over from the CJ just couldn't stand up to the demands of today's mall and sub division driving. In late 1991, engineers when back to the drawing board with the design of the TJ. It would be another 4+ years before their design would be released but late hiccups in 1996 led to a later release of the TJ and a 1 year over run of YJs in 1996. Rumor has it, they were split 50/50 on front and rear spring rate.

When the TJ was released, the public applauded Jeep's innovation and speed bump accommodating design. The coil suspension proved to be a huge advantage over the leaf spring of old. However, not everyone was as thrilled. There were those that swore that a real Jeep HAD to have a leaf spring suspension and the new coils were utter blasphemy. (As a side note, these were the same people that swore square headlights were simply an evolution of the brand while CJ owners and loyalists disowned them. Jeep's engineers sided with CJ purists and corrected the square headlight project with the TJ release, vowing to never make that mistake again.) However, the YJ purists, seeking a solution of their own, found that revolving shackles would accomplish the same speed bump conquering traits that Jeep's multi-national team of engineers had been driving towards for years, day and night, holidays and weekends and 3% of the Chrsyler R&D budget later.

But were here to talk about the JK's attack technique and capability, not a history lesson. To be fair, the TJ had come a long way in speed bump handling and some consider it on par with the JK. You can argue both sides of the coin but for the most part, they are right. The JK did make some improvements but none as earth shattering as the TJ's suspension change that rocked a united nation and some believe, was the catalyst of today's divide. Today, a longer wheel base, approach and departure angle and lower center of gravity make the task even easier than before. The JK is arguably the premier speed bump vehicle that all others look to when faced with the "what should we do next" question.

Yes, a long winded answer to your question but I felt it necessary to put it all in context.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:38 AM
JK Junkie

BillyJack is spot on with that information- but to add a little bit......the JK control arms being significantly longer than that of it's brethren TJ makes it almost, dare I say, Cadillacesque over these extreme terrains we call the mall and subdivisions of today.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2013, 04:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys take your Jeeps to the Mall? That place is too hard core for me. I'm thinking I'm going to be able to hit the mall after doing a D60 in the front and back. Heavy duty skid plates from River raider. A Re gear and installing a 4 to 1 T case.

You know those speed bumps are killer I'v seen so many Jeep get caught up on them and have to winch out.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2yellowlabs
Really?

^ X2, but BillyJack perfected it. Nice job sir!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

slow with Rubicon shocks
Old 10-30-2013, 01:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont want to scratch up the bottom of my jeep so i just go arround them

Quick Reply: Speed bumps