Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Would you buy this product
Yes! I'm tired of broken glass!
23.08%
No! I have issues with it!
30.77%
Maybe... I need more info.
46.15%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

SpeedGlass - Interested?

Old 06-11-2009, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is now way in holy hell that is DOT legal. Your windshield is a structural safety component of your vehicle designed to shatter not break apart (within reason), have some flex then keep your non-seat belt wearing azz in the vehicle if your face were to eat it in a wreck. I would be there is some type of FMVSS test or two it would be subjected to as well.

Ever driven a vehicle with the windshield removed across a parking lot such as at a body shop? I have more than a few times. You wouldn't believe the structural rigidity lost when the front and rear glass out of a passenger car. This is why you don't just glue a windshield in with seam sealer or Liquid Nails. The windshield urethane must be approved for such applications. The point is windshields are structural not cosmetic.

Also, if its plastic its not going to be UV stable long term meaning that sucker will yellow and optically degrade on you at some point. Guaranteed.

Do this in your own Jeep at your own risk but don't even think about doing it to someones unless you like civil and criminal court proceedings. If you do this to your own Jeep I wouldn't suggest selling it like that without disclosing in writing first.

Last edited by RATM; 06-11-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even in the web site the OP mentions (Speedglass home page):

"SPEEDGLASS is not DOT approved for use on front automobile windows on US Highways. Percys assumes no liability or responsibility if used illegally."

It is susceptible to cracking. Again from the Speedglass web site:

"Special Note: to prevent windows from cracking due to uncontrollable conditions such as tire shake, extreme vibrations, etc. some vehicles may require a soft barrier (available in Percy’s installation kits) between the window and the body. "

I might consider it if my Jeep was a 100% off-road racing machine, but how many on this site have 100% off-road machines??
Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to vote: No.
Not: No! I have issues with it!
Because the voices tell me the "issues" are everyone elses fault.

Quick Reply: SpeedGlass - Interested?