Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

spiteful dealership

Old 02-03-2012, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr7rizt4n
so theres this dealership thats about 3 miles from my house, then this HUGE dealership thats about 20 miles away... both are jeep/chrysler/dodge/ram...

as is the norm, you can get some big deals from a big selection at the big guy...

i bought my 2009 wrangler from the big guy... i had some issues with leaks and such coming down from the roof. i took it back to the big guy and they took care of it. turns out the guy that does the work goes around between dealerships and does this type of warranty work. well it turns out it was still leaking. so i called the dealership thats right by my house and asked to have them do this service again to plug the last couple that they missed... well they refused because i didn't buy it from them.

well that turned me off from them, its 3 years later, i've got a dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7 hemi that i want to have a remote start installed on. so i called the little guy. first of all, the service writer starts saying he wants to give me someone's cell phone number that "usually handles these types of things"... i explained that i dont want some 3rd party fob to trail around and that i'd bring in my own mopar parts kit to have installed.... he said that completely changes things and that they could definitely do that. he then proceeded to ask me if they've serviced the car before, i replied no, he asked if i bought the car with them, i said no and he immediately said that they wouldn't be able to do the work then because they only service cars that they've sold..

what a crock of shit. i can understand not wanting to do some warranty work where chrysler will probably underpay them, and i know its not a huge sale but an hour or two of labor is an hour or two of labor...

Reminds me of this sourpuss little dealership in my town. Cars used to sit on their lot for months on top of months before one got sold--if it got sold at all. There's a Taco Bell next door to this little dealership that gets tons of business. One day the little dealership put a shady little "THIS IS NOT A TACO BELL ENTRANCE" sign on their gate. Well, few months later they went belly up. Someone else bought the lot and now they sell UHAUL rentals.

About 15 years ago this guy at a small time dealership tried to sell me this rockin' 1979 Jeep Golden Eagle. That thing was a monster. He said "Oh yeah it's in great running shape. I drive it to and from work sometimes." So I drove it to a mechanic to get it checked out. About 10 miles down the road it overheats and dies. Make a long story short--The mechanic checked it out and found a crack in the block the size of Shaquille O'neal's shoe string. A year later the dealership went belly up.

The moral of the story is, every single spiteful dealership of any size that I've dealt with in 20 years has gone belly up.

Last edited by AirDWN; 02-03-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AirDWN

The moral of the story is, every single spiteful dealership of any size that I've dealt with in 20 years has gone belly up.
In this market, it would be nice to see the whole dealership "take it or leave it" attitude get shifted. With the Internet, and sources like this forum for most vehicles, no one needs the dealer to "sell" them anything, we all know what we want when we get there. They need to be there on time, have what I want in stock, be honest (ha), and treat me with the customer is always right attitude (haha).
Old 02-04-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AirDWN
Reminds me of this sourpuss little dealership in my town. Cars used to sit on their lot for months on top of months before one got sold--if it got sold at all. There's a Taco Bell next door to this little dealership that gets tons of business. One day the little dealership put a shady little "THIS IS NOT A TACO BELL ENTRANCE" sign on their gate. Well, few months later they went belly up. Someone else bought the lot and now they sell UHAUL rentals.

About 15 years ago this guy at a small time dealership tried to sell me this rockin' 1979 Jeep Golden Eagle. That thing was a monster. He said "Oh yeah it's in great running shape. I drive it to and from work sometimes." So I drove it to a mechanic to get it checked out. About 10 miles down the road it overheats and dies. Make a long story short--The mechanic checked it out and found a crack in the block the size of Shaquille O'neal's shoe string. A year later the dealership went belly up.

unfortunately, this one has been around forever and it doesnt look like they're going anywhere... as much as they deserve to go under.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy all of my Jeeps from a dealer about 50 miles away. I pick the one I want and they actually bring it to me. We have bought many vehicles from them and I have to say they are probably one of the best dealerships without a doubt here in WV. The local Jeep dealer here no one can deal with. They use $3000.00 bump stickers on everything they sell and will not come off of that price. They act like every Jeep they have on their lot you should be thanking the for the opportunity to be able to buy it. If it were possible to deal with them I would but it just won't happen and I honestly do not see how they stay in business.

I just had an enjoyable experience with them 2 weeks back. I thought maybe their service department would be different and I would give them the benefit of the doubt. We just bought my wife a 2012 Liberty Arctic edition from previously mentioned dealer and I wanted to have the remote start installed for her. I called my dealer and bought the parts and had them shipped up to me then dropped it off at the local dealer to have it installed and programmed. Mopar accessories catalog showed 1.2 hours for install and program. They have an $82.00 per hour flat rate. Well, I went to pick it up and they presented me with a $310.00 bill for installation and programming. That was over 3.5 hours for installation! I proceeded to tell them it only shows 1.2 hours in the Mopar catalog and they told me the Mopar catalog did not apply for them installing accessories and that labor times were not listed in it. Fortunately for me I had my dealer print and fax me the sheet before I ever went to pick it up. I asked to speak with the service manager and after about an hour of going back and forth my bill was at $110.00. I absolutely hate that dealership. If I would have had access to someone with a StarScan tool I would have installed it myself. Another thing that pissed me off pretty good is either one of the salesman or service techs went through all of our financial paperwork in our glove box to see what we bought the Jeep for from the other dealer. They didn't even bother putting the paper work back in the envelope. I almost called Jeep on them for this whole ordeal and still may as it was and still is completely ridiculous in my opinion.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are a certified jeep dealership, they can not refuse to do warranty service. Thats why you buy new, for the warranty... So if you buy a jeep and move across the country are you expected to go back to the dealer you bought it from? That's crazy. I'd call jeep HQ and report them.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

That is pretty surprising. Usually they cannot to get a walkin into service. It gives them an opportunity to upsell you on other services.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NH-JK
If they are a certified jeep dealership, they can not refuse to do warranty service. Thats why you buy new, for the warranty... So if you buy a jeep and move across the country are you expected to go back to the dealer you bought it from? That's crazy. I'd call jeep HQ and report them.
This is what I would do.

Quick Reply: spiteful dealership