Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sport Vs Rubicon

Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had an X, a Sahara, and now a Rubicon. The Rubi is great because now all I have to do is dial it in with a lift, tires, bumpers, etc. I don't have to do any major construction on it. I have found in the past modding cars that the more I do, the more problems I have to chase down. DC did a fine job on the Rubi. I like tweaking to add the final touches.

This is similar to the discussions when I had a highly modified Mustang. Guys with V6 Stangs said they could drop in a new engine and drivetrain and have a better car than the Cobra. More power to them. To me, "better than" has a little different meaning.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf

Rubicons have a transfer case with 4:1 gearing as opposed to 2.72:1 in the X/Sahara tcase. This is generally a much better ratio for off-road.

Great for rock crawling but it CAN be too low for a lot of other general off roading.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by benny

Great for rock crawling but it CAN be too low for a lot of other general off roading.
I have been told this by some rubicon owners. When wheeling in snow or sand 4:1 can be too low......any input on this from rubicon owners?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SLVR07
I have been told this by some rubicon owners. When wheeling in snow or sand 4:1 can be too low......any input on this from rubicon owners?
It is probably too low for my uses, but on that - I have never needed it where I needed to go fast at all. The top speed is the same either case I think, 15mph?, so it doesn't matter too much.

I would echo what some people have said, the Rubicon is way overkill for most people. I have one, and it is overkill for me. I wouldn't have bought a sport, but that is just because I didn't want to have to worry about anything in the future and when I bought it the Rubi deals were much better. As for trading it in, wait until you actually need to. The sport is still way capable.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Ok so here are some reasons for trading it in. My Sport was 34K, the Rubi is 40K so 6K difference. Had to buy the Sport because no Rubicons in stock in the area, I live in a small community. Anyway.
If I add up all the things I need to add to the Sport to get what I would get by buying a Rubi with the options I want I think I will end up spending more.
Better seats = 1K
Navigation system integrated = 1K
Locker axle = 1K plus
Better Tires = 1.5K
Sway bar disco = 300

That is 4.8K right there. So with a 1.2K of loss by trading up to the Rubicon I think I may do it.

I know about the lost in value on the Sport etc. I should have bought the Rubicon in the first place now that I think about it.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Sport to Rubicon?

I thought I would save $$ so I bought a Sport. Thinking I would upgrade it, started working on it and decided it would be cheaper to go with a Rubicon. Made my local dealer very happy when I went back. Go for the Rubicon.

Quick Reply: Sport Vs Rubicon