Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

sport vs rubicon

Old 08-11-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jk-tony
But with the sway bar, yes it's nice, but if you're doing hard core type flexing, you will want manual disco's also.
the e-disco is known for being problematic. mine died so i just went with evo's knob option. i like it better than the button on the dash to be honest.

also, if your endlinks are the proper length and adjusted properly you wont need manual disconnects.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you've got the money and gonna do all the mods now get the sport and build it. If you don't have that much but still have enough money get the Rubicon for something to party with till you do. If you don't have that much get the sport and just save up. That's how i had to look at it
Old 08-11-2012, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
A used 2012 Sport with as few miles as you can find is the ideal platform to start if you really are building a trail toy with 40's on 60's. For a part time wheeler/ full time daily driver a Rubicon on good 35" mud tires is tough to beat and you can't build a Sport to the same level for anywhere near the money.
Perfectly said.

To OP: I really do think a sport is your ideal starting platform here.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by k.baker B.D.O.R
thanks everyone for the quick posts and basically im building a 4 door as a daily driver on 40s i drive a tenth of a mile to work i like in pa so the wheeling varies i have the 2 door rubicon and love it ive looked at 37s for it but as far as the 4.10s if i go 37s its going 5.13 my biggest concern is the rocks hands down my favorite part but on the trail as you all know its never just rocks unless your in moab so im still undecided but the suggestions do help a little bit and the 2 things about the rubicon i dont wanna loose is the 4to1 transfer case and the e sway bar dico love that button so please keep coming with the info this is like a court hearing no matter what im going to win just need to figure out witch way
For the 2012 I personally think 3.73s are fine for 35s so I would imagine 4.10 would be okay for 37... As you mentioned the rubi has a lower low gear for wheeling so you can get away with not having the numerically higher final drive gear and you will still do fine off road.

Also for you 4 door build if you build axles from scratch you can select a numerically high gear, keeping in mind you "only" have a 2.72:1 transfer case, you can get a numerically higher fd to compensate for that fact or just replace the transfer case
Old 08-12-2012, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hypeiv
What is your overall budget... and what kind of wheeling do you plan on doing?

For tires 37+ you are going to want to install gussets on the front axles even if you get the rubi so you are going to be looking at a mild axle build up no matter what. It really comes down if you need lockers at all, or if you need a selectable locker.
Really Idk what the budget is yet depends on the price of the jeep I get really so I'm going to leave the budget open and just price it built both ways but I have to sell my 2 door first

Quick Reply: sport vs rubicon