Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sport vs. Rubicon????

Old 04-05-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ooooh I like dark n hoppy! That light shit messes up my figure

Sent while sitting in my Jeep using JK-Forum
Old 04-05-2013, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by catahoula
Nice Jeep!
Thanks a lot!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LeftCoastTeufel
BigSteve and Jonathan...you guys definitely seem like you could intelligently go back and forth for days on the virtues of Rubi vs Sport. For me and my needs, from everything that has been discussed, the Rubi makes the most sense. I am not going to do too many mods (famous first words of first-time jeep owners I'm sure...especially since I'm already drooling over the AEV website), and I have the money to drop on a Rubi when I get back from deployment.

I will try to be cautious and keep it stock for a while until I determine what will actually make me happy modification wise. Off the bat I think either a BB or a 2.5" with 35s will be my first move. Like BigSteve said, I will sell the Rubi take-offs for what I can to offset, but I'm not too worried about dropping an extra couple $K into the rig off the bat. That will probably last me until I get to my next duty station. From there I will determine what makes sense mod wise.

This is all assuming that the rumor mill doesn't start while I am on deployment about an eco-diesel in the 2015 JK...in which case I may be tempted to wait. That was NOT meant to start a whole new thread on the diesel rumors. I know there are already plenty devoted to that.

I love reading the posts and seeing the pics you guys put up. I'm hoping to keep this Jeep for the next 10-15 years, maybe even give it to my son (better be a son!!!) when he is old enough. But let's be honest, if I have a daughter I am going to be putty in her hands anyway, so she will get the Jeep too.

I am not going to go with the Nav feature, or the blue tooth, or the sirius. But after the past 10 pages of posts this is the build I have come up with...

COLORS
Black Interior Color
Black Clear Coat Exterior Paint
OPTIONS
Uconnect® 130 CD/MP3 $0
17-Inch X 7.5-Inch Polished Mineral Gray Wheels $0
LT255/75R17 BSW Off-Road Tires $0
Performance Suspension $0
3.6-Liter V6 24-Valve VVT Engine $0
6-Speed Manual Transmission $0
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating $0
4.10 Rear Axle Ratio $0
Monotone Paint $0
Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats $1,100
Black 3-Piece Hard Top $895
Engine Block Heater

Comes out to $34K MSRP. I will get it for prob $28.5K or $29K with the Deployed Serviceman's Sales which will allow me to get the vehicle for inventory price (plus delivery fee) tax free.

With the money I save, I am looking to do 2.5" lift with 35s (AEV pintlers). From there I have my eyes on some things but will try to control myself for the first year. I am debating not doing leather seats and going through AEV to get their leather (and awesome heat reduction hood at some point). If anyone has any thoughts for or against let me know.

BigSteve (or anyone else who wants to weigh in), since I am going with your line of logic, what do you think?

Thanks for all the help guys! You have been awesome!
Sport or Rubicon debate aside, I can't shake the military thoughts drilled into my skull. I will not try to assume your rank. As a Senior NCO, I will only express the concern that I have always conveyed to my men. Don't fall into the deployment rich mentality. I have deployed six times, and everytime I see this trend. Guys will redeploy and spend all of their definitely hard earned cash on a car. Just check the parking lot after a tour. You'll see privates pulling up in BMW's, SS Camaros, Tahoes on 20s, the list goes on. Then they have nothing left to fall back on. Think ahead on this is all I ask. Especially if you have thoughts of a son or daughter. Don't get me wrong. I have bought a new car after each deployment, two after one deployment, but I kept it within a budget. Even when I was single, I always made sure I kept at least 10K in the bank after my inevitable shopping spree. I only gave up enough down payment to allow for a reasonable monthly payment. Mostly no more than 450 a month. The ex-wife's got me for 530 and I bought a Camaro for 520. Those were the only exceptions. The Camaro was short lived and the want for a lower payment actually led me to the Jeep. I'll tell you this, I bought the Sport, and am paying 420 a month ( not discussing why I don't have better credit for a lower payment, but it has to do with the ex). If you don't have a family yet, you may eventually, and it gets expensive. Save some of that money now. I can tell you I just redeployed and wasn't paying rent for a year, but with a son and an ex, bills still come. I think I saved 15K, not nearly enough for a Rubi. But hey, I don't know your finacial situation, so if you have done a no BS analysis of your budget and you can do it, by all means get the Rubi and be happy. I love my Sport, put it on 35s, and my PCS is sending me somewhere with more mud than rocks. The 2.72 will be fine for now. But that fits me, not you. Just make a smart decision for YOU, and forget the bias of others.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

whoops... I got back from a Year long deployment to Afghanistan and Paid Cash for my Sport then I dropped another 5K on mods in the first 3 months of having it.

I would assume you can get a New sport for around $275 a month with good credit.

I dont think you can get a Rubicon for that payment probably around $400 or more.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got an Ex- Wife... She's got me for $500 a month.... for one dam kid.. oh well I'm glad to be rid of her I will gladly sign the check each month so I don't have to deal with her anymore
Old 04-05-2013, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rubi on the cheap???

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
Where do you people live? I got my 2012 2 door rubi ordered with the 430 radio and hard top and tinted windows and 7 year 70k full protection warentee for 30k : P
Ok all arguing aside here is how I got a Rubicon on the cheap, I bought mine new in December 2010, I went and looked at one at a local dealer I didnt like the price so I walked out {always walk out they didnt make a $ for there time}. I went on the internet and looked at every dealer within a 50mi or 75mi radius and gave them my e-mail address they all gave me quotes nothing thrilling, about a week later Chrysler E-mailed me asking what I was willing to pay I shot them a figure 1,000 lower than employee pricing {wich I already qualified for} and they told me my Jeep would be at my local dealer at the end of the week. Patience, end of the month & year will pay off esp. at high volume dealers where youre sale might get them over there target for month/year & that is how they can sell them cheaper than small dealers. I got a rubicon air conditioning & sirius radio 4,500$ down 385$ a month paid it off early & started mods.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

I think a lot of us found a common agreement. Ex's suck ass.

Peace all
Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jeeps are BUILT, NOT BOUGHT.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

The common agreement of butt hurt Rubicon owners still lingering around this thread to defend them to the death.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Haha. Peace man. I'll hope you find happiness

Quick Reply: Sport vs. Rubicon????