Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Spring underbody clean?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Mine is never clean. Even after I clean it I find dirt clots, grass, mud and rocks under it. Shoot my soft top looks like a mud monster threw up on it. I've tried pressure washing it scrubbing it and its still never clean.

One tip is take your fist and hit your stock fenders. All kinds of crap will fall out of it
Yep I bang on my fenders as I'm spraying water up there
Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed! Just got orders to Alaska so I'm very nervous about rusting, from South Carolina and currently stationed in NC so the only rusting I know is from the salt water. Any tips or tricks would be great to know!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:08 AM
-

Lightbulb Ah One of My Favorite Things To Do

Yep.. with spring approaching.. I'll be thinking of cleaning and re-cleaning the jeep.. sure a good spray (power wash) would be good enough to get under the jeep. Thou I'm finding I do not like the car washes seeing how the water is "recycled" and tends to smell very rank.
But once I get the undercarriage semi sprayed off.. I'll bring it home and find a shade tree and set out to remove each wheel and begin the task of checking brake lines and cleaning the wheel well area as well as take not of any rust starting to form.
One helpful tip here, is once you've clean the wheel well area, spray it down with ArmorAll Tire Foam this creates a surface which debris wont stick on. This should be repeated at least once a month during nice weather.
Also, once the wheels are off the jeep, clean them too, brake dust can get caked up on the wheels and can be very unsightly. I've found products like Simple Green or Pure Purple & wheel cleaners do a great job on cleaning the wheels. Don't use a wire brush, but a stiff plastic brush or what I use, shoe polishing brush found in the trash.
Yes.. if you drive down the ally where we live.. you might see my laying on my back under the jeep doing a bit of cleaning and lets not forget Krylon's rust prevention spray afterwards.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Not all bumpers are built as strong as Shrockworks. Attempt this at your own risk ...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Belly Washing the Jeep, Jan 12.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	533997  

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 02-28-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My routine is pretty easy, but we see very little salt/de-icer on the roads here. Even after 2 years there's no real rust on the undercarriage. It's mostly about cleaning it up for mud/sand where I'm at.

In my case, I park the Jeep and roll around the sides, front, and back spraying upward and blasting the underside. Then, I soak with Simple Green and let it sit for just a little bit. Once everything is good and penetrated, I repeat the shuffle with the pressure washer. It takes a little practice to get everything, but once you've got your technique, it works really well.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

After a few different methods, my favorite is hooking up an inline canister (modified sprayer for the yard) with simple green and running it to the lawn sprinkler. Place under and turn it on. Move it around a bit, leaving it in place for a few minutes at a time. Then I disconnect the inline res and put the sprinkler back under for a good rinse. I've had no issues. All good.

Quick Reply: Spring underbody clean?