Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stall Bug Reflash DENIED!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
If you were built that far after the fix you already have the fix. Having them hook it up and refix just leaves you open for something else to screw up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Sorry but I don't agree. Mine was built after Jan 22 and I have had the stall. The reason DC doesnt want us to have the fix, is because the fix might not be THE FIX for our Jeeps. The Date Jan 22 marks the end of a particular production cycle at a particular plant. So they have tested out that build and found a fix. Until the test out the fix on other production runs, we probably don't want it.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdubs07jk
Sorry but I don't agree. Mine was built after Jan 22 and I have had the stall. The reason DC doesnt want us to have the fix, is because the fix might not be THE FIX for our Jeeps. The Date Jan 22 marks the end of a particular production cycle at a particular plant. So they have tested out that build and found a fix. Until the test out the fix on other production runs, we probably don't want it.
I thought they were all built at the same plant...in Toledo.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

Toledo is the final assembly plant. Parts come in to Toledo, in lots, from other plants (engine for example) and vendors in lots.
The TSB and recall dates somehow represent some lot of something or another.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cdubs07jk
Sorry but I don't agree. Mine was built after Jan 22 and I have had the stall...
I bet yours is from a different problem then, and the flash wouldn't fix it anyway. I had a very similar problem when I got mine (build date Jan 31st.) Mine had an electrical issue where all the lights would go off and come back on (including the gauge lights, it appeared to stall at that point), or the wipers would come on when I used the turn signal. It was a loose connection in the steering column wiring. The pushed the connector in and I've had no more problems since then. I think there are two separate issues involved, one being a computer problem, the other being loose wiring. Some people may have problems with one or both.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tgrt
It's called customer service. If your customer comes to you and says others have had this problem and asks to get the flash you should just friggin do it. It's not costing you anything other than a little time and the customer leaves satisfied -- and probably remains a customer.

Andrew, I recommend you dump that dealer if possible and you should also call and talk to the service manager and tell them why you're dumping them.
Not trying to flame or anything, but it does cost them. They have to pay the tech and all the misc taxes and benefits based on how much time D/C says the repair pays. IF there is nothing wrong, which he admitted, you are asking for something for nothing and D/C won't pay the dealership.( Not that I would not atleast ask myself ) Incidently, mine stalled three times and my dealer told me it was from the key ring swaying back and forth while I was driving cutting out the engine.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Not trying to flame or anything, but it does cost them. They have to pay the tech and all the misc taxes and benefits based on how much time D/C says the repair pays. IF there is nothing wrong, which he admitted, you are asking for something for nothing and D/C won't pay the dealership.( Not that I would not atleast ask myself ) Incidently, mine stalled three times and my dealer told me it was from the key ring swaying back and forth while I was driving cutting out the engine.
And you took that answer as the truth? As far as asking for something for nothing as much as paid for that thing they should fix it. LOL I guess i have to wait. Hopefully it wont stall.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, didn't believe them but knew they had no real answers yet and that it would all play itself out. I usually have 5-7 vehicles under warranty at any given time(work trucks and such) and I guess I am just used to the lame excuses most of them give you. Good luck either way.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SFD1248Unlimited
I haven't had a stall problem yet but I am around the mileage that everyone says they are having it happen so I figured i would ask.
I'd just like to point out that I had mine stall between 11850 - 11900 miles. No problems what-so-ever before that, so it can happen at any time.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
I bet yours is from a different problem then, and the flash wouldn't fix it anyway. I had a very similar problem when I got mine (build date Jan 31st.) Mine had an electrical issue where all the lights would go off and come back on (including the gauge lights, it appeared to stall at that point), or the wipers would come on when I used the turn signal. It was a loose connection in the steering column wiring. The pushed the connector in and I've had no more problems since then. I think there are two separate issues involved, one being a computer problem, the other being loose wiring. Some people may have problems with one or both.
ditto... the "stall bug" fix is just a software/firmware upgrade. It probably fixes quite a few of the reported stalls, but not all.
If you're build was after "the date", then you already have the new software. The "flash" would do exactly nothing for you, except put your JK in the dealers posession for a couple hours....
Old 09-09-2007, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubimon
If you were built that far after the fix you already have the fix. Having them hook it up and refix just leaves you open for something else to screw up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Sorry Rubimon, but this is not true. Here is a copy of my newest post to the "Stall Bug Sticky." Notice my build date!

Well after starting to feel safe, it finally happened to me. Here is a copy of the details section of my official NHTSA complaint:

**START**
NHTSA Jeep “Stall Bug” Complaint
Filed: 09-09-07 @ 12:45 PM
NHTSA Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10202298

While negotiating a right hand curve on a local town road in my 07 Jeep Wrangler X, 2-Dr, the dashboard lit up and the engine stalled for approx. 2 seconds and then restarted itself for no apparent reason. This caused a loss of power steering (I assume) as steering/controlling the vehicle became very difficult. I was traveling about 35 mph with no passengers. This vehicle has a build date of 04/17/07 and was purchased brand new from a Jeep dealer on 07/02/07. The vehicle had 4166 miles on the odometer when this incident occurred. After checking DaimlerChrysler “Safety Recall G25, Reprogram TIPM - Engine Stalling” dated July 2007, I see that although I have the exact symptoms listed, the build date of my vehicle falls outside the date listed in the recall (01-22-07). Obviously this needs to be updated. This can also be verified via the following internet forum thread: "https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2366" This forum includes quite a few owners that have had this issue including many that; 1) have had the recall procedure performed already; 2) have a vehicle outside of the specified build date; or 3) actually own a 2008 model year Jeep Wrangler. It seems the recall procedure or "fix" does not actually correct this issue and that the recall should be expanded to include later build dates. Luckily I was driving in a slower, low traffic, less hazardous situation during my first incident but now I am concerned that if this occurs again during faster, highway use or in a busy intersection and with family members/passengers the outcome could be disastrous. My vehicle is never abused and well maintained. Please feel free to contact me if further details are required.
**END**

Here are my vehicle and incident details:

07 Jeep Wrangler X, 2-Dr
24C Pkg.
No power windows/locks
No Cruise Control
No Compass or Fuel Economy system in dash
Auto Trans
No LSD
Optional 17" Moabs w/ 255/75R17's
Mopar Sirius Sat Radio w/std sound system
No aftermarket electrical or engine mods

Incident:
Cruising 35 mph
Parking lights on
Radio on FM station, vol = 16
Fan on, set to 2nd position
Vents set to floor and dash
Just over 1/2 tank of fuel
Outside temp = 68 F (via dash reading)
11:05 AM, Overcast
No passengers

Now I'm pissed!

Quick Reply: Stall Bug Reflash DENIED!!!!!!!!!!!