Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

STARTING PROBLEM -anyone else have this???

Old 01-01-2013, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STARTING PROBLEM -anyone else have this???

OK.

So I have two different starting issues. My current one is:

I start my engine and it turns over runs for two seconds then dies. I happens randomly. Seems to be tied to RPM idle but unsure. New tune up, good gas, happens hot or cold. My dealer says it is related to the vapor canister. When I top off the fuel. But it happens even at a half a tank. Three or four starts that die. Then it's fine for weeks.

ANYONE have this issue??

The other issue, use to happen but not recently where I turn the key. It clicks but won't turn over. I found if I put it in neutral or tapped the gear shift. My 08 JK 4door is an automatic. Then it would start . Anyone ???
Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

possibly a bad shifter safety switch?? so the jeep isn't sure if the jeep is in park amybe???
Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Starting then dying in a couple seconds is usually related to the wireless control module not recognizing your key.
The next time it happens, remove the key, then pull up on the Ignition Off Draw fuse holder, and push it back down after a few seconds. That will reset the wireless control module. See if it works normally after that.

The click and no start could be the range sensor inside the transmission going bad. When you move the selector, it makes a new contact in the transmission. It could also indicate a bad battery, or bad ground wires.

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-01-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

I currently have been having the same click, no start problem with my automatic 2008 stock Rubi. But with a jump, it starts up no problem. But after letting it sit for any period of time, it will just click and stop. As I hold the key, it will just keep clicking and stopping as the dash lights keep flickering. I have tried shifting to N, no luck... put it back in park, no luck. disconnect battery, clean as best as I can, connect with TIGHT connection, no luck...

After work, I am going to try pulling the fuse, try starting with headlights on, try using the spare key, tap on the starter, locking/unlocking and retry starting... but if non of these work, I am guessing I have a bad ground? I have heard that putting the jumper cables on the NEG side of battery to the engine block is a way to test this? Is there any truth to this? Any other ideas are fine too )
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

Tried everything but tapping on the starter over lunch... but with no luck. Anyone know if connecting the jumper cable from the NEG to the engine block would prove it to be the ground?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by fitzia01
I currently have been having the same click, no start problem with my automatic 2008 stock Rubi. But with a jump, it starts up no problem. But after letting it sit for any period of time, it will just click and stop. As I hold the key, it will just keep clicking and stopping as the dash lights keep flickering. I have tried shifting to N, no luck... put it back in park, no luck. disconnect battery, clean as best as I can, connect with TIGHT connection, no luck...

After work, I am going to try pulling the fuse, try starting with headlights on, try using the spare key, tap on the starter, locking/unlocking and retry starting... but if non of these work, I am guessing I have a bad ground? I have heard that putting the jumper cables on the NEG side of battery to the engine block is a way to test this? Is there any truth to this? Any other ideas are fine too )
Constant clicking as you hold the key usually means low voltage; either a bad battery, bad ground, or bad positive lead connection.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fitzia01

Bad battery
Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TxRdStr
Bad battery
Just got a new Interstate battery with 700 cold cranking amps to replace the factory battery (which was 5 years old). Thought I would never experience this no start in the cold again... but it must have been a coincidence that it began happening now.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Constant clicking as you hold the key usually means low voltage; either a bad battery, bad ground, or bad positive lead connection.
I'm thinking bad ground could be my problem. Not 100% on how to test this theory though!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks ronjenx,

Thanks for taking all the time to shoot the photo and label it! Really helpful! I will check out the fuse. And the key sensor. I keep thinking it has something to do with the fuel however. Because I smell fumes after the several try's. it also dies because of the rpm's.
As far a a bad battery. I have a new battery so that's not it. However I will mention the tranny contact to the dealer next time I'm In.

Quick Reply: STARTING PROBLEM -anyone else have this???