Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stock 2013 JK puddle/river/water tolerance?

Old 11-03-2013, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 2013 JK puddle/river/water tolerance?

So i have read all these horror stories about how easy the stock Jk is to hydro lock.

Its got me so worried i drive around standing water after a good rain, instead of blasting through it like i should be doing in a jeep! I mean crap, my old CAR handled it fine when i was younger.

So my question is. What are the general rules for water stuff regarding the 2013 JK sport?

Do the 2013's differ from past year jk's, in term of water tolerance.... First time i poped the hood, it looks like the air box is up pretty high and doesnt suck air from the fender to what i can see.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by miraclemax
So i have read all these horror stories about how easy the stock Jk is to hydro lock.

Its got me so worried i drive around standing water after a good rain, instead of blasting through it like i should be doing in a jeep! I mean crap, my old CAR handled it fine when i was younger.

So my question is. What are the general rules for water stuff regarding the 2013 JK sport?

Do the 2013's differ from past year jk's, in term of water tolerance.... First time i poped the hood, it looks like the air box is up pretty high and doesnt suck air from the fender to what i can see.
I have the 3.6. Rain and water crossings, no problems to report.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	509571
Old 11-03-2013, 02:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going slowly, you are good for about 20 inches. Going faster, a lot less as it will splash up into the engine compartment - even a few inches in just the right place can cause disaster.

That said, I've gone through puddles about 5-7 inches deep at speed (30ish MPH) with no issues. YMMV.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:52 PM
JK Junkie

Search YouTube for "Jeep Jk in water"- you're safe as long as the water is just outside the air box.

Chrysler's legal team says 30" at no more than 5mph, my video was closer to 40" and certainly quicker than 5mph.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2013, 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do the doors leak at these depths? Specifically referring to the newer JKs (2011+)
Old 11-03-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Do the doors leak at these depths? Specifically referring to the newer JKs (2011+)
Is there a different door gap tolerance between the old and new models? Different weatherseal pn? If not then there is no reason to believe your experience will be any different than anyone else's.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls
Is there a different door gap tolerance between the old and new models? Different weatherseal pn? If not then there is no reason to believe your experience will be any different than anyone else's.

I should have been more (or less?) specific. How good is the seal on the doors at that depth. Should I expect any leakage?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had water up to the lower door hinge. Water barely trickled in but not enough to get the carpet wet.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HardRooster
Had water up to the lower door hinge. Water barely trickled in but not enough to get the carpet wet.
How long was the water up that high?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I should have been more (or less?) specific. How good is the seal on the doors at that depth. Should I expect any leakage?
I didn't have any leaking from the doors, no. The drain plugs that were slightly cocked, that's a different story.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

Quick Reply: Stock 2013 JK puddle/river/water tolerance?