Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stolen tire

Old 01-22-2015, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tire was stolen with a wheel lock. I mean what else can i do to prevent that from happening again. Buy a better wheel lock? Its killing me how my jeep looks right now missing its duratrac in the back. Short of installing cameras outside my house (from which it was stolen) looks like ill just be taking another chance. And mind you i live in a good town.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:50 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jellis07109
My tire was stolen with a wheel lock. I mean what else can i do to prevent that from happening again. Buy a better wheel lock? Its killing me how my jeep looks right now missing its duratrac in the back. Short of installing cameras outside my house (from which it was stolen) looks like ill just be taking another chance. And mind you i live in a good town.
Since your still using the stock carrier, a better wheel lock is your best bet like the Strattec's I posted. I suppose if you really wanted to, you could use 3 of them!

...and those McGard wheel locks that come from the factory/with the Jeep, yeah definitely change those out too like it was shown in that video posted.

Stock spares you can find all day on craigslist but if you had larger tires mounted which it sounds like you did, yeah that sucks.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
Since your still using the stock carrier, a better wheel lock is your best bet like the Strattec's I posted. I suppose if you really wanted to, you could use 3 of them! ...and those McGard wheel locks that come from the factory/with the Jeep, yeah definitely change those out too like it was shown in that video posted. Stock spares you can find all day on craigslist but if you had larger tires mounted which it sounds like you did, yeah that sucks.
Yeah i have duratrac 285 70 17s on my jeep. Sucks big time. Probably gonna have to buy a new tire. The rim itself. Checking craigslist and ebay as we speak. But that bolt locker. Man it sticks out alot.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

I'm putting on 35s in 2 weeks and didn't even consider this. As unfortunate as this is for you, it is a good reminder to keep your stuff secure.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:31 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jellis07109
Yeah i have duratrac 285 70 17s on my jeep. Sucks big time. Probably gonna have to buy a new tire. The rim itself. Checking craigslist and ebay as we speak. But that bolt locker. Man it sticks out alot.
What's more important? Having the wheel lock stick out 1.5" further but can do the job or lose your brand new rear spare again?

or you can try something like these...just don't lose the lock key. Get the one that has the rotating "sleeve". Thread is 1/2.
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla-guard-locks

Last edited by DJ1; 01-22-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
What's more important? Having the wheel lock stick out 1.5" further but can do the job or lose your brand new rear spare again? or you can try something like these...just don't lose the lock key. Get the one that has the rotating "sleeve". Thread is 1/2. http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla-guard-locks
Im liking those gorilla rotating sleeves better. Thanks dj. Gonna get those. Now just gotta find a tire and rim and hope for the best. Appreciate it man
Old 01-24-2015, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear of your stolen tire woes. I would assume the theives are using a tool to crack of the locks. To my knowledge the tool would need access tot the side of the lugnut. What I have on my spare tire setup is instead of having a lock type lugnut I have open ended short lugnuts that sit flush with the surface of the wheel. Leaving to access for any tool to get to the side of it. Not to mention in order to remove the tire you need two different sized sockets. And a typical lug wrench or impact socket will not work. Not the greatest setup but I figure if a thief comes up to the back of a jeep to steal my tire he may be frustrated by the inconvenience and aggravation and move on.

Basically the way I stumbled upon this setup was because I bought a PSC Brawler bumper and tire carrier and while trying to insert the wheel studs into the mount I ended up damaging one of requiring a new one. So I went to Advance and got a couple new ones with the low profile lug nuts. After I got all installed and mounted the tire I realized the new lugnuts were not the same size as the stock sized nuts. Of course I was pissed about the moron at Advance giving me what worked but.... It all worked out when I realized it could be a good thing with the different sized nuts holding on my precious spare.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
What's more important? Having the wheel lock stick out 1.5" further but can do the job or lose your brand new rear spare again?

or you can try something like these...just don't lose the lock key. Get the one that has the rotating "sleeve". Thread is 1/2.
Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories
So I just went and got a couple sets of these. Didn't like the part about them only coming in a set of 4. I had to buy 2 sets, figured I would put one set on the tires on the ground and then use 3 of the 4 in the other set for the spare. Reason for using 3 is that I know for fact that you can over crank the other 2 regular lug nuts and then just hand spin the other locking lug off. So if I have 3 back there then maybe I will create a little more work than it's worth for a thief. And I will send in the extra $10.50 for each key so I have an extra in case I lose one.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RoysRig
So I just went and got a couple sets of these. Didn't like the part about them only coming in a set of 4. I had to buy 2 sets, figured I would put one set on the tires on the ground and then use 3 of the 4 in the other set for the spare. Reason for using 3 is that I know for fact that you can over crank the other 2 regular lug nuts and then just hand spin the other locking lug off. So if I have 3 back there then maybe I will create a little more work than it's worth for a thief. And I will send in the extra $10.50 for each key so I have an extra in case I lose one.
That's a good idea. This thread has got me thinking about the security of my spare. I only have one gorilla lock on mine now. I have the PSC Rockbrawler 2 with tire carrier which has a license plate attachment. It is really a pain to remove to get to the spare. It takes an allen and a wrench and about 10 or 15 minutes to get it off as you can only turn a quarter turn at a time. So I'm going to try removing the screws and using a trailer coupler lock in their place. I found one that has a 1/4" pin and is 2" long. May need to drill but may not as it is close. I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone making it easier to remove the plate and bracket as well as act as a theft deterrent since the plate bracket is larger than the wheel center.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah guys, def. rethink everything and secure your stuff. This happened in suburbia, in front of my house!

Just ordered a new tire and rim. Do i need to get another tpms sensor too?

Quick Reply: Stolen tire