Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Storing Doors while OFF.....

Old 07-01-2009, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing Doors while OFF.....

Hey guys.....so i just ordered a besttop cover to cover my Jeep when the doors are off so i can leave them off for the weekends and not have to worry about just leaving it open (i am kinda anal about keeping it clean and my garage is not accessible).....

i have been bringing the doors into my house and storing them in my office or living room and while neither the wife or myself mind this too much it does take up valuable living space....my thought was to build a rack to store the doors safely in my garage.....

anyone else done this.....

my initial thoughts are to get a 2x6 and lay it on its flat side....drill approprietly spaced holes in the 2x6 and insert 1" to 1-1/2" dowels (covered with foam to avoid scratches of course) spaced about the width of the door apart to just leave them standing in in my garage......

Ideas and Pics of other solutions would be great....
Old 07-01-2009, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Storing doors

I just use those big red rubber coated hooks from the hardware you use to hang bikes up and other stuff, I have them screwed into the wall studs and with the windows open, just hang my doors on them... works for me...
Old 07-01-2009, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use some big hanging brackets I got at home depot. The kinda look like the Lange door hangers that several Jeep places sell but much cheaper. I bought two of them and can hang all four doors on the two hangers.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks guys......

thought about hanging them but the 2 issues i have are i have the window ventshades on my doors and they get in the way and the fact that i have no wall space in my garage at the moment but i do have floor space....
Old 07-01-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I say keep it simple. Lay down a 2x6 or some sort of padding on the floor, drill some eyelets into the drywall, and use bungies to keep them upright. Or build a little freestanding frame and use the bungies.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

i make a simple rack to hold the doors

cost me less than 20$ to build (i already got the tubing)

Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default storing doors

Well, they make some pretty nifty storage carts/racks I've seen in some catalogs, but if you're handy you could make you're own, go to you're local Lowes, TSC, Rural King, or some other farm/big box hardware store, get yourself one of those roll around carts, the kind you move furniture around on, (4- 1x6 boards made into a 14"x30" or so rectangle w/ wheels under each corner) then make framework to hold youre doors..... Kinda like a big file holder you find in you're office! Look on some of the Jeep parts web pages to get the idea, or just order one......
Old 07-01-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure if you use your garage to park your vehicles or not, but since I don't, I just lay down some padding and some styrofoam from a leftover package delivery and put the doors there. No scratches, no damage, and they are safe .
Old 07-01-2009, 10:08 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Goldorak
i make a simple rack to hold the doors

cost me less than 20$ to build (i already got the tubing)

More details please. This would fit perfectly inbetween the two cars in my narrow two car garage.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

i got to modufy it a little bit, i got to find a better way to hold the door together, if the terrain is not level , the 2 doors swing to the same side and the rack tumble

but when i finish , i will post some picture and drawings to make one

Quick Reply: Storing Doors while OFF.....