JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Stretch....????? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/stretch-19709/)

MJS_Jeep_888 11-05-2007 10:57 AM

This thread is pretty seriously off-topic. Where's PigInAJeep? It's his job to come on here, swear, and chide everyone to get back on-topic. :synister:

I'm not a big fan of the LOOKS of the Unlimiteds, but I've been wheeling with a couple Unlimiteds on more than one occasion. Yes, they lose on breakover angle compared to a 2-door, but by carefully selecting their line, they're more than capable.:yup:

This reminds me of the arguments when the JK first came out... old, cranky YJ and TJ owners were b1tching that the JKs were too wide to make it on the trails. They were wrong then, and you are wrong now.

sbaglin 11-05-2007 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by glick (Post 225805)
WOW, ok.... just so you know the break over angle is a big benefit of having a shorter wheel base.

an unlimited and a two door for example... are going up a hill (they are both stock lets say) the unlimited bottoms out at the peak while the 2 door keeps on going.... sounds like an advantage to me?!:bleh:

First off, I do not want this to become a battle between unlimited and 2dr, it would never end. I merely wanted to point out that it doesn't make or break a serious off-roader and an unlimited can compensate a breakover angle with lift and tires...and question un-shakeable foundation that many SWB have about their superiority. I also have a CJ5 so I know the benefits of both sides. It just bothers me when people make sweeping generalizations-there are so many factors involved in making a good ORV and the determining factor is not merely SWB...rant off :bleh:

doojer 11-05-2007 11:02 AM

Okay, I'm not gonna swear at anyone but I am going to try to get this back on topic.... :D

Seriously, there are many many threads on the Unlimited vs. the SWB, so let's try to keep this to a discussion about stretching the 2-door. We all know it's been done with TJ's, so the OP is a valid one.

00pumpkin 11-05-2007 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by BGW (Post 225363)
In my opinion the wheelbase of the JK unlimited is to long to be a serious offroader.........The idea of a JK 2-Door with an extra four or five inches of wheelbase is more of what I'm thinking.......

EDIT: I'm not trying to offend anyone that has a JK Unlimited......

I assume that you mean stretching the wheelbase without stretching the body. 99-101" wheelbase with 37's is great; for 40's I would want around 106-108. With 42's around 110" and 44+ I was thinking 112-116 would be great. (these are my opinion for Jeep vehicles such as Wranglers, Cherokees and Grands; not custom buggies) Of course this changes as the terrain does, but those #'s seem to work well in all types.

The Unlimited is a little long and would be a tough vehicle to navigate through tight forest trails and make sharp turns on rocky sections, especially without body damage. But the 2 and 4 door are totally different vehicles with different purposes. In the type of southeastern terrain that I wheel in, I would want atleast a 37" tire before hitting alot of the trails around here, its easy to get high centered with such a LWB.

Im all for a stretched wheelbase 2 door though, I would definitely like to see one. Assuming your talking about just stretching the rear, the increased departure angle would be great for coming down off ledges and big rocks, along with the added benefit of being more stable on steep climbs. Just make sure that you throw on the necessary meats needed to help combat the loss in breakover angle.

I dont think you will see too many 2 doors stretched till some aftermarket parts start coming out that are modeled after the TJ parts. (comp cut fenders, suspension stretch kits, etc) Otherwise, its gonna have to be all custom.........

BGW 11-05-2007 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by seer1 (Post 225841)

Ohh and yes I was serious about not following me. Come on out and drive the mountains... You have been challenged. Winner gets to have a blast...so does everyone else. Hmm I think I've come up with a true win-win situation here.:yup:
If you've never ridden the Rockies, you owe it to yourself.

I would love to get out there...Some of my wheelin' buddies in Oklahoma and Texas make it out there at least once a year............I am planning on going to Moab with the ROF group the last week of April though........:)

Don't worry about this thread wandering from it's original topic....I kinda thought it might.........:) I figured I was jumping the gun a little with this topic......

BGW 11-05-2007 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 00pumpkin (Post 225914)
I assume that you mean stretching the wheelbase without stretching the body. 99-101" wheelbase with 37's is great; for 40's I would want around 106-108. With 42's around 110" and 44+ I was thinking 112-116 would be great. (these are my opinion for Jeep vehicles such as Wranglers, Cherokees and Grands; not custom buggies) Of course this changes as the terrain does, but those #'s seem to work well in all types.

The Unlimited is a little long and would be a tough vehicle to navigate through tight forest trails and make sharp turns on rocky sections, especially without body damage. But the 2 and 4 door are totally different vehicles with different purposes. In the type of southeastern terrain that I wheel in, I would want atleast a 37" tire before hitting alot of the trails around here, its easy to get high centered with such a LWB.

Im all for a stretched wheelbase 2 door though, I would definitely like to see one. Assuming your talking about just stretching the rear, the increased departure angle would be great for coming down off ledges and big rocks, along with the added benefit of being more stable on steep climbs. Just make sure that you throw on the necessary meats needed to help combat the loss in breakover angle.

I dont think you will see too many 2 doors stretched till some aftermarket parts start coming out that are modeled after the TJ parts. (comp cut fenders, suspension stretch kits, etc) Otherwise, its gonna have to be all custom.........

Your thoughts on wheelbase and tire size is right on line with what I'm thinking.............99" to 101" with some 37" IROK's or 38" TSL's would be perfect......:D

With the trails we have in our areas a JK 4-Door would have to have a minimum 37" on it, but somewhere around 40" would be ideal........The overall lenght of the 4-Door would kill it though...........You woud have to armor every square inch of the Jeep, plus keep a chainsaw in the back........:D