Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stupid mistake with half door leaves a nice dent

Old 05-30-2010, 08:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rich1340
I may be mistaken, but isn't that a garage right in front of your Jeep?
I was thinking the exact same thing......????????
Old 05-30-2010, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
This first dent is always the most difficult. Sorry for your pain.

A short story to ease your pain, I hope: Had a hail storm a couple years ago. It really dented my hood terribly with jumbo egg size hail stones ...

That's a quarter in the picture ...

Four months ago I replaced the hood with one from someone on the forum who was getting an AEV. Right color and everything. I was really happy to be rid of that dented hood. Then a couple weeks ago ...

Three times as many dents, including now in the windshield surround and the metal that's behind the hood (where the wiper blades are). Dents are not as large, but there's sure a lot of them.

If this were me, i would have thrown myself on the hood and saved the Jeep....lol
Old 05-31-2010, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was just two weeks ago at my place. It came in so fast that by the time I heard the hail it was already too late. The hail was bouncing off the soft top so hard that it was rebounding higher than the house. It even broke the windshield on my fiance's car that was parked out front. Really wicked storm to watch. They can remove the dents from the windshield frame, but have to replace the hood and cowl. That actually worked out pretty well because the body shop is letting me pay the $300 difference in hoods and putting on an AEV Heat Reduction hood instead of OEM

Old 05-31-2010, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

I feel for you man, I have come close to this, the top uppers on the half doors are SNUG and you can pick the whole t hing up if your not careful.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

Back to OP--- It looks like your paint is intact, couldn't a paintless dent repair shop help you out? It would cost something but in my experience they are always very reasonable.

I feel your pain though. I had just finished polishing out my Utah pinstriping after coming back from the MOAB area. I was also hurrying to get out to a trail to work my dog. In my haste I slammed the tailgate onto the rear window bar which was hanging down and not locked properly in place. Yoink!!! @#%^* Passenger side of the upper lip (about 1.5 to 2 inches of it) folded at a 90 degree angle to the tailgate. I used a rubber mallet to get it into roughly factory position but it still had a dimple where the crease of the fold was. I took it to my friendly body shop (after working a bit more of the dent out myself). The body shop Line-X'ed about 2 inches down from the lip of the tailgate. This solved two problems, the dent and the mysterious chips at the edge of the tailgate. Oh, and the cost, 2 hours of my time and $50 for the line-x.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rich1340
I may be mistaken, but isn't that a garage right in front of your Jeep?
If it's like my garage, the wife's car is in there. Good luck getting my Jeep in there with my wife's Tahoe. I have hail damage on my hood now too. I eventually plan to use it as an excuse to get an AEV hood!

Quick Reply: Stupid mistake with half door leaves a nice dent