Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Supercharger or turbo jk?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger or turbo jk?

Both kits cost around the same and I was just looking for some input or preferences between the 2.

http://www.ststurbo.com/jeep_wrangler

http://www.RIPPMODS.COM/2007_2010_Je...2-sds-stg2.htm
Old 02-04-2012, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

This is just my opinion.........

Turbos are definitely the way to go for a power adder BUT in a JK application I would be afraid to have that expensive turbo and piping underneath my Jeep. I would worry about pinching a pipe, crushing the turbo, or even getting mud and water in or on the turbo unit. If it was an engine mounted turbo kit It would be a different story.

The RIPP blower kit is the one I would chose for a JK....Engine mounted and out of the way of rocks, salt, mud, water, etc.

If you don't offroad your Jeep for for the Turbo!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BAMFR
This is just my opinion.........

Turbos are definitely the way to go for a power adder BUT in a JK application I would be afraid to have that expensive turbo and piping underneath my Jeep. I would worry about pinching a pipe, crushing the turbo, or even getting mud and water in or on the turbo unit. If it was an engine mounted turbo kit It would be a different story.

The RIPP blower kit is the one I would chose for a JK....Engine mounted and out of the way of rocks, salt, mud, water, etc.

If you don't offroad your Jeep for for the Turbo!
Power aside - and we hold our own

We ask simply - why would you want the main air inlet and oil feed/return lines under your Jeep? poor design in our opinion - Jeeps go off road - That turbo is in a weak spot...

RIPPTECH
Old 02-04-2012, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...Sprintex-other
Old 02-04-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

if you get some stickers itll be faster. I hear each sticker adds 10whp!!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Power aside - and we hold our own

We ask simply - why would you want the main air inlet and oil feed/return lines under your Jeep? poor design in our opinion - Jeeps go off road - That turbo is in a weak spot...

RIPPTECH
No argument from me on which one creates more power...a blower can make just as much as a turbo can no problem. The issue I have found w/ blowers is the adjustability of running different boost levels. Swapping pulleys vs in a turbo just a flick of a switch or knob. Also belt slippage and shredding in some blower kits.

The advantage to your blower is pretty much instant power/ boost...turbos have lag.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Op...coming from someone who has a stock motor, no turbo, no blower, why would you want to turbo a jk? Just like rippmods said oil return line, turbo, plumbing, all that stuff hindering ground clearance and a turbo won't give you any more crawling/off road power, unless you strictly run in the sand or somewhere where your going to be In high rpm constantly, Plus trying to battle all the heat soak.
I'm not trying to start a flame war, between turbos and superchargers but I would go with the ripp for a million reasons over the turbo setup but the 1 important thing...look at how often ripp is up here on the forum helping folks whether they have purchased from them or not...imo ripps customer service is awesome and when I eventually have the cash ripp is who will get my business.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good points everyone! I completely forgot the turbo was under it. Not the greatest of ideas unless a skid and splash shield was made. Hey ripp, would there be a forum special by chance?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hemi...just sayin
Old 02-05-2012, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo for racing, SC for low end instant power. Only issue is heat. SC must have an oil cooler. My 01 Eaton SC Nissan Frontier was great to drive when the engine was cool, once hot there was no power, I couldnt even do brake stands anymore!

Quick Reply: Supercharger or turbo jk?