Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Surfboard Transporting?

Old 08-13-2018, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Surfboard Transporting?

Hey Guys,

How are you guys transporting your surfboards? I have a 2 door soft top, and was looking at options besides just strapping it to the roll bar with the top down. I was thinking about purchasing the Yakima EasyTop. Has anyone used one of these soft racks or any other soft racks before and had any luck? I want to stay away from getting one of those ugly exo racks.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2018, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I use Thule's factory roof rail style load bars right on the Jeep's roll bars. It's a solid setup. Only takes a few minutes to put on, I can keep the Spiderweb shade in place and the spacing is right to mount anything I want up there (I use a basket if I have to haul people and gear, 2 door problems, right?) I'll see if I can find a picture and the part number for the feet if you need it. This solution would not work with your soft top up, but for top down it's great.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

This was all I could find in a pinch, but you get the idea

The following users liked this post:
rd0t (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out the Teraflex Nebo rack as an option. Teraflex is a forum sponsor.. Living in North Texas we don't haul surf boards but I think this is what you are looking for.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
This was all I could find in a pinch, but you get the idea

I love this idea for carrying things topless. If I need an option to carry my board with the top off, I may just try that. I have the soft rack coming in tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can make it work, if not I'll just have to go to the beach in my girlfriends vehicle.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I think the main concern using the soft rack on top of the soft top would be most the stress will be applied to the plastic door surrounds. That may or may not be an issue depending on how far/fast you drive to the beach. If it's not far, it might be just good enough for a surfboard. I'd guess with the soft top, it would be much less stable than how that soft rack is used on most other cars.

Quick Reply: Surfboard Transporting?