Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Suspension/Frame Rust issues

Old 06-05-2018, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension/Frame Rust issues

Hey everyone,

I moved out to NorCal from New Jersey where my Wrangler went through about seven East Coast winters and the undercarriage became more and more rusty overtime. I'm looking to upgrade my suspension system and tires. The service advisors at the Jeep dealership here recommended getting it taken care of before any more modifications are done.

I'm trying to see if anyone has any recommendations on how to deal with it or if anyone on here in the Sacramento area knows any shops to repair it.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:57 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Those. Poor. Shocks.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Manually agitate it, scuff/ grind that tish off, hit it with a self-etch primer or rust converter, then paint with rust proof paint.

Just replace the shocks, there's no point in trying to help those out. If you're upgrading your suspension then you won't need to clean up the shock extension hardware.

Rust is nasty but you've got a good environment in California where you can clean it up and hopefully stop the rust. Make sure you check the inside of the frame and other nooks and crannies where rust may hide.....hint hint- gas tank skid, particularly the mounting hardware closest to the driveshaft.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, it's not really all that bad. Scrape and wire brush it all off. There are quite a few different ways to seal/treat it. You'll have to figure out which will best work for you. That POR 15 rust converter is popular.

Quick Reply: Suspension/Frame Rust issues