Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

TeraFlex tailgate tire carrier?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
WOW no wonder America's economy is in the trash can.....
Some people are just smarter consumers then others.... Don't feel bad about yourself cause you don't fall into that category yet .... You're happy with your purchase... Thats all that matters to you and thats ok.....I've over paid for things too in the past but I'm learning.
So what credit card did you charge it on? and how long before you can pay it off??
Oh and by the way........ bad language and name calling.... C'mon NOT needed to make a point dude with 33 posts.
33 posts? Does my post count here in any way reflect the validity of my opinion? Is your choice of tire carrier somehow superior to mine because mine cost more? Let me lay it out for you since your're so interested.

1. This tire carrier weighs negligible. My previous choice of bumper + carrier weighed in at 136 lbs. This carrier plus a 65 lb rear bumper saves me a ton of weight, which works for ME.

2. This tire carrier opens WITH the tailgate, not in addition to the tailgate. Call me lazy, but one step less when you've got an armful of whatever is definitely a bonus to ME.

3. This tire carrier will mount a hilift, rotopax and CB antenna, all of which are important to ME. Sure, I can mount those otherwise, but this is a terrifically handy all-in-one.

4. This tire carrier looks great. In fact, it just about disappears into the tailgate where no one will notice it. I regularly scour and repaint the gouges in my frame, skids and sliders, but how my Jeep looks from the paint up is important to ME.

5. This tire carrier, even with the adjustable mount and the accessory mount, plus a very low profile rear bumper is LESS EXPENSIVE than the bumper + carrier I was previously set on. Which saves ME money.

6. This tire carrier allows me to use a very low profile rear bumper because now I don't have to mount a tire to it. Less bumper keeps ME farther from the rocks.

Really, it's irrelevant why I want this particular piece of equipment, but there it is anyway. I don't skimp on my equipment, I pay what it costs for the gear that works for ME. I don't skimp on motorcycle gear because it keeps me alive. I don't skimp on skydiving gear because it keeps me alive. I don't skimp on firearms (or on the related education, practice, training and competition) because in the event of the unthinkable, they may help keep me alive. I don't skimp on snowboard gear because I like to enjoy the ride. I don't skimp on cookware and ingredients because I like my food to have flavor and nutritional value. Hell, I don't skimp on socks. I'm not a bargain hunter. I'm not skimping on the addition and renovation of the home I just bought, because I have to live there. I don't skimp on my Jeep. I want it to perform the way I want it to perform, both on the road and on the rocks. I buy what I think is best and I do exhaustive, exhaustive research regarding every aspect of my vehicle(s). If I happen to find something used or on sale that is what I want, I'll take the savings. I got a sweet deal on my skids, I was very thrifty there. But this tire carrier just came out, it's not on sale. No one has a used one. And it's just delightfully timed as I'm shopping for some bigger wheels. Does that make me a poor consumer? If it's exactly what I want, am I overpaying?

Regarding the name calling and attitude, if you've never had a long, frustrating day then I don't expect you to understand what it's like to feel a little edgy after you go on your favorite forum to see if new pictures of your tire carrier-to-be have been posted and you have to sift through 3 pages of infantile, ineffectual whining. I've dealt in the manufacture and retail of vehicle parts. Sometimes things are expensive. That's just how it is. You wait for your coupons and sales, I want mine now so I can get some bigger wheels on.

To wrap it up (if you're still reading), I paid with my debit card. With funds that came out of my checking account. I find it a little disturbing that after only 33 measly posts, you assume to know all about my financial situation. I realize that I wrote that I don't make much money. But as any smart consumer out there knows, you can make those dollars work with some patience and focus. Just realize that a few short lines after you criticize my language and name calling, you go and call me out like I'm in debt to my ears when you don't have the vaguest idea. I found your post irritating enough to write rant number two today. I hope I've held my language and attitude at a rating you're comfortable with. This thread has turned into a huge pissing match that I don't intend to contribute further to. We all have seven slots in our grilles, but the diversity from there is one of the aspects of this community that I find so appealing. I don't belittle your choice in equipment, or its cost. And yet here is a thread full of people ripping on the price and concept of this tire carrier to the obvious end of trying to get a reduction in price. Come on.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaRomeo15
Oh did I offend someone because you can't buy nice shit for your wife? Oh wait maybe you don't even have a woman? Too cheap to spend on your self that just shows how cheap you can be on a date...what do you do haggle at a restaurant and complain why steaks are expensive? LOL
lmfao you got it pal!! nailed it right on the head!

and where did i contradict myself? i was too distracted calling the chinese restaurant that just delivered to complain that they overcharged me by and didn't give me enough duck sauce.. ugh!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I edited for you

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
33 posts? Does my post count here in any way reflect the validity of my opinion?

I paid with my debit card. With funds that came out of my checking account. I find it a little disturbing that after only 33 measly posts, you assume to know all about my financial situation.

But as any smart consumer out there knows, you can make those dollars work with some patience and focus. you go and call me out like I'm in debt to my ears when you don't have the vaguest idea. I found your post irritating enough to write rant number two today. I hope I've held my language and attitude at a rating you're comfortable with. This thread has turned into a huge pissing match that I don't intend to contribute further to. We all have seven slots in our grilles, but the diversity from there is one of the aspects of this community that I find so appealing. I don't belittle your choice in equipment, or its cost. And yet here is a thread full of people ripping on the price and concept of this tire carrier to the obvious end of trying to get a reduction in price. Come on.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKEdge

Price point on the AEV is over-priced as well. Price point on both products is rape at its finest. So if you want to compare it like that...then sure it's on point. It's on point with the overpriced product and will be a low volume product at best.
Then don't buy it! 850 for the aev and 500 for my bumper... 1,350 all in. Now, go compare full setups.... Garvin, Hanson, olympic, fab fours, arb, warn, and rock slide all between 1,500 and 1,300. So, how about if I compare it like that?!?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bubbacon
Then don't buy it! 850 for the aev and 500 for my bumper... 1,350 all in. Now, go compare full setups.... Garvin, Hanson, olympic, fab fours, arb, warn, and rock slide all between 1,500 and 1,300. So, how about if I compare it like that?!?
I'm not going to...but regardless of what you or anyone else says. I am going to speak up on shit like this because I am fed up with vendors raping their customers because they think they can. If I'm that annoying guy, so be it, it's my right. I don't need asshats like you telling me to just move on. It's people like me that gets shit done because I don't just accept things for what it is. If I see something that is wrong I will speak my mind. So go take yourself to the vendor thread if you don't want to see my comments.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by notsoricer
yes, it should be able to be installed in you driveway with basic tools. from the look of things, there shouldn't be any drilling or welding involved.

they seem to be still in the process of figuring everything out with the optional mounting accessories.

they have another thread in the vendors section with preorder info.

welcome to the forums
Thank you for taking the time to answer my Q's. I'll check thier post in the vendor section, hopefully there'll be more info there too.

And thanks for the welcome. Aloha!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by icrashbikes

33 posts? Does my post count here in any way reflect the validity of my opinion? Is your choice of tire carrier somehow superior to mine because mine cost more? Let me lay it out for you since your're so interested.

1. This tire carrier weighs negligible. My previous choice of bumper + carrier weighed in at 136 lbs. This carrier plus a 65 lb rear bumper saves me a ton of weight, which works for ME.

2. This tire carrier opens WITH the tailgate, not in addition to the tailgate. Call me lazy, but one step less when you've got an armful of whatever is definitely a bonus to ME.

3. This tire carrier will mount a hilift, rotopax and CB antenna, all of which are important to ME. Sure, I can mount those otherwise, but this is a terrifically handy all-in-one.

4. This tire carrier looks great. In fact, it just about disappears into the tailgate where no one will notice it. I regularly scour and repaint the gouges in my frame, skids and sliders, but how my Jeep looks from the paint up is important to ME.

5. This tire carrier, even with the adjustable mount and the accessory mount, plus a very low profile rear bumper is LESS EXPENSIVE than the bumper + carrier I was previously set on. Which saves ME money.

6. This tire carrier allows me to use a very low profile rear bumper because now I don't have to mount a tire to it. Less bumper keeps ME farther from the rocks.

Really, it's irrelevant why I want this particular piece of equipment, but there it is anyway. I don't skimp on my equipment, I pay what it costs for the gear that works for ME. I don't skimp on motorcycle gear because it keeps me alive. I don't skimp on skydiving gear because it keeps me alive. I don't skimp on firearms (or on the related education, practice, training and competition) because in the event of the unthinkable, they may help keep me alive. I don't skimp on snowboard gear because I like to enjoy the ride. I don't skimp on cookware and ingredients because I like my food to have flavor and nutritional value. Hell, I don't skimp on socks. I'm not a bargain hunter. I'm not skimping on the addition and renovation of the home I just bought, because I have to live there. I don't skimp on my Jeep. I want it to perform the way I want it to perform, both on the road and on the rocks. I buy what I think is best and I do exhaustive, exhaustive research regarding every aspect of my vehicle(s). If I happen to find something used or on sale that is what I want, I'll take the savings. I got a sweet deal on my skids, I was very thrifty there. But this tire carrier just came out, it's not on sale. No one has a used one. And it's just delightfully timed as I'm shopping for some bigger wheels. Does that make me a poor consumer? If it's exactly what I want, am I overpaying?

Regarding the name calling and attitude, if you've never had a long, frustrating day then I don't expect you to understand what it's like to feel a little edgy after you go on your favorite forum to see if new pictures of your tire carrier-to-be have been posted and you have to sift through 3 pages of infantile, ineffectual whining. I've dealt in the manufacture and retail of vehicle parts. Sometimes things are expensive. That's just how it is. You wait for your coupons and sales, I want mine now so I can get some bigger wheels on.

To wrap it up (if you're still reading), I paid with my debit card. With funds that came out of my checking account. I find it a little disturbing that after only 33 measly posts, you assume to know all about my financial situation. I realize that I wrote that I don't make much money. But as any smart consumer out there knows, you can make those dollars work with some patience and focus. Just realize that a few short lines after you criticize my language and name calling, you go and call me out like I'm in debt to my ears when you don't have the vaguest idea. I found your post irritating enough to write rant number two today. I hope I've held my language and attitude at a rating you're comfortable with. This thread has turned into a huge pissing match that I don't intend to contribute further to. We all have seven slots in our grilles, but the diversity from there is one of the aspects of this community that I find so appealing. I don't belittle your choice in equipment, or its cost. And yet here is a thread full of people ripping on the price and concept of this tire carrier to the obvious end of trying to get a reduction in price. Come on.
I'm not gonna get in the middle of this but your post is awesome! I'd have said the same things! I'm not buying this carrier just yet but I applaud you for your purchase! Haters gonna hate... :-) if you're ever on the east coast, I'll buy your broke ass a beer! ;-)
Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Unsubscribed.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

E Everyone
L Love
E Everyone
Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 PM
JK Freak

not really sure why people are posting in this thread if they have already decided to go a different route for their carrier? Nobody needs you to defend the rest of us against these vendors "overcharging" us.....we earn it, we will spend it. this thread should be for those who want this carrier and are willing to pay TF's asking price. I think there are alot of posts here from members who want the carrier, but have now resorted to bashing it and members who are purchasing it because they don't like the price. I don't think anyone needs to defend their choices of mods either....we all can do what we want. maybe there should be a new thread for those who want to fight for a price reduction so we can get this thread back on track for those who are interested and have legitimate questions for TF about their new product and want to see updates from them.

edit: GO KINGS!!!!

Quick Reply: TeraFlex tailgate tire carrier?