Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Teraflex tire carrier issue!

Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally still run the original version of the adjustable tire carrier and mount on the back of my JK with a 37" MTR, with ZERO issues. The key with these is that if the spare tire is jiggly when off road, you need to push the sliding inner portion in another 1/4" with the spare off. That way when you tighten the lug nuts down your pulling the spare tire against the tire carrier firmly. TeraFlex has updated both pieces (inner,outer) of the adjustable mount. Again if anyone has any concern about this product, PLEASE email TeraFlex tech@teraflex.com.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
I personally still run the original version of the adjustable tire carrier and mount on the back of my JK with a 37" MTR, with ZERO issues. The key with these is that if the spare tire is jiggly when off road, you need to push the sliding inner portion in another 1/4" with the spare off. That way when you tighten the lug nuts down your pulling the spare tire against the tire carrier firmly. TeraFlex has updated both pieces (inner,outer) of the adjustable mount. Again if anyone has any concern about this product, PLEASE email TeraFlex tech@teraflex.com.
That answers my question about the updated inner AND outer! I'm glad that it will be a different/updated piece. Ill definitely slide the tire another 1/4" but I haven't had any rattling with this carrier which is why I like it so much!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by -Buck-
That answers my question about the updated inner AND outer! I'm glad that it will be a different/updated piece. Ill definitely slide the tire another 1/4" but I haven't had any rattling with this carrier which is why I like it so much!
I don't know if it matters much or another person should do this but I myself deflate my spare down to little or no air. Then I tighten / adjust the spare, Then I inflate my spare.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BubbaJK2012
I don't know if it matters much or another person should do this but I myself deflate my spare down to little or no air. Then I tighten / adjust the spare, Then I inflate my spare.
That's actually a great tip also!
Old 12-02-2013, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

How long has the updated version been out? I just ordered one and want to make sure it's the new one. Can you post a picture of the new gusseted piece. I haven't found a good pic of it yet.
Thanks
Old 12-02-2013, 12:45 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
How long has the updated version been out? I just ordered one and want to make sure it's the new one. Can you post a picture of the new gusseted piece. I haven't found a good pic of it yet. Thanks
I don't have any pics but basically the adaptor piece that attaches the spare to the carrier originally has to open areas that pass through and the updated has welded plates or guessets that angle and support it
Old 12-02-2013, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BubbaJK2012
I don't have any pics but basically the adaptor piece that attaches the spare to the carrier originally has to open areas that pass through and the updated has welded plates or guessets that angle and support it
Thanks, I just talked to Joe about it.

Quick Reply: Teraflex tire carrier issue!