Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Third seatbelt on 2-dr?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third seatbelt on 2-dr?

I've been thinking about adding a third safety belt to the back seat of my JK (2-dr), for those occasions where a third person gets crammed into the middle seat.

Has anyone done this? Would it be possible to order and mount the middle safety belt from a 4-dr? Or could I find a belt that would latch onto the child-seat restraints (would they be strong enough).

In NJ I believe it's legal for the driver to allow 18+ backseat passengers to ride without a seatbelt, but the passenger can be ticketed. The idea here is safety, however infrequently it might be necessary.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

***Bump***
Old 05-18-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

No. A 2 door Jeep is a 4 passenger vehicle. It is not designed to car more that 4 people. I also thing that to be legal you need a seat belt for each occupant.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Omega Man
No. A 2 door Jeep is a 4 passenger vehicle. It is not designed to car more that 4 people. I also thing that to be legal you need a seat belt for each occupant.
So adding a 3rd person in the back is going to overload the Jeep and make it over heat?

Take a look at the belts in the back of a 4 dr rubi and see how they are installed and just add a set of lap belts. Personally, I can't imagine being in the back with 2 other people and less of them are cute petite females. However, I can see having it setup for 3 people if they are small teenagers, females etc for cruising with the top off.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

I am thinking about doing this but have not found a seatbelt yet. let me know if you guys find one and lets do a writ up.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believe they sell a third rear seatbelt for the TJ, maybe that can be used?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by entropy128
I've been thinking about adding a third safety belt to the back seat of my JK (2-dr), for those occasions where a third person gets crammed into the middle seat.

Has anyone done this? Would it be possible to order and mount the middle safety belt from a 4-dr? Or could I find a belt that would latch onto the child-seat restraints (would they be strong enough).

In NJ I believe it's legal for the driver to allow 18+ backseat passengers to ride without a seatbelt, but the passenger can be ticketed. The idea here is safety, however infrequently it might be necessary.
@the replies saying no you shouldn't. The 4-dr JK has no more width than the 2-dr, the leg room in the back is near identical (not that it matters for 2 Vs. 3 ppl in the back), so if you installed a 3rd seatbelt setup such as Chrysler did with the right parts, it would be just fine.

It cannot be that hard to do, I need one, perhaps we need to keep in touch on what we come up with, whichever of us does it first.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
@the replies saying no you shouldn't. The 4-dr JK has no more width than the 2-dr, the leg room in the back is near identical (not that it matters for 2 Vs. 3 ppl in the back), so if you installed a 3rd seatbelt setup such as Chrysler did with the right parts, it would be just fine.

It cannot be that hard to do, I need one, perhaps we need to keep in touch on what we come up with, whichever of us does it first.
Be sure to keep me in the loop, i will do the same.

Thanks guys/girls
Old 02-16-2009, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH

I would say dont do it but it has nothing to do with room. It says it seats four on the tag on the driver door, Im not sure how legal that would be or what type of risk you would be at, if god forbid you got in accident.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I added a 3rd seatbelt to my 05 TJ unlimited no problem (lap belt only) I went down to Pep Boys and bought a Black Lapbelt unbolted the lower mounting bolts on the factory belts. Then slid the bolt throught the holes in the a/m seatbelt and retightened the bolts to the factor lb ft torque settings. I never had a problem with it. I have never been inside of the JK 2dr and always thought it seated 5 now. Guess my thoughts were wrong. However the seat is wider than that of my old TJ and would seat 3 better than the TJ would. I don't think you should have a problem with doing it and go for It. I'm thinking about adding the 3rd seat in my unlimited too!

Quick Reply: Third seatbelt on 2-dr?