Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tie rod ends

Old 06-26-2017, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who replaced the whole drag link and ends, how did you know it needed replaced? Or was it just easier to make the upgrade at that point?

There is movement in mine. Not side to side movement. I can rotate or twist the drag link.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by vol_sahara
There is movement in mine. Not side to side movement. I can rotate or twist the drag link.
This movement just allows for misalignment and is normal. Typically a worn DL or TR joint will lead to some bump steer. If you hit a bump, pothole, or such, you'll get a decent jerk of the steering wheel or just a bit of a wobble that will self correct. It's hard to not notice the sensation.

Planman's videos (on youtube and the forums) are a great reference in things to look for.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
This movement just allows for misalignment and is normal. Typically a worn DL or TR joint will lead to some bump steer. If you hit a bump, pothole, or such, you'll get a decent jerk of the steering wheel or just a bit of a wobble that will self correct. It's hard to not notice the sensation.

Planman's videos (on youtube and the forums) are a great reference in things to look for.
Thanks! I'll go check those out.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by vol_sahara
Thanks! I'll go check those out.
MOST of the time you can see movement while sitting in front of the jeep and watching while someone turns the wheel. I will say though.....i have a stubby bumper and 3.5" lift, and my front end is really open. I forget sometimes how much harder some others have it accessing all those components.....so while I might be sitting there drinking a beer as I look at stuff, someone else might be rolling around on the ground trying to find a good viewing angle.

I have not run in to a bad TR end yet, but ball joints are easy to spot, and DL is pretty easy to see up/down movement in as well while someone is turning the wheel. Planman's vids are pretty thorough. At least a good place to start to get acquainted with your steering.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
MOST of the time you can see movement while sitting in front of the jeep and watching while someone turns the wheel. I will say though.....i have a stubby bumper and 3.5" lift, and my front end is really open. I forget sometimes how much harder some others have it accessing all those components.....so while I might be sitting there drinking a beer as I look at stuff, someone else might be rolling around on the ground trying to find a good viewing angle.

I have not run in to a bad TR end yet, but ball joints are easy to spot, and DL is pretty easy to see up/down movement in as well while someone is turning the wheel. Planman's vids are pretty thorough. At least a good place to start to get acquainted with your steering.
I have a modified stock bumper (cut ends with caps) and it does make it easier to see all the components.

I've watched Planman's videos and they actually helped me with knowing that the rotation that I mentioned earlier was normal. I'll have to ask my wife to get in and turn the wheel while I watch for any movement.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Tie rod ends