Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Time for new tires. Seriously.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for new tires. Seriously.

I'm a paper carrier for the Sioux City Journal and have a semi-rural route each morning (pays $400/mo, takes care of the car payment.)

Anyway, we're in the middle of a blizzard right now -- the press ran off the Friday morning copies earlier tonight and I just got back from doing half my route.

I'm running the stock P225/75R16 Wrangler STs on my 2 door X and man... they are pretty awful. My ground clearance is such that I'm always getting hung up underneath and ending up with tires dug in. It's those skid plates -- they just float up on the snow.

Part of my route tonight had 2 foot drifts that I managed to plow through at 20mph in 4HI, but a few times I got stuck (on the road, mind you) and had to get Wendy to jump in the drivers seat to drive while I pushed.

I've already got a set of 32'' tires picked out but I'm not sure if they'll fit. Never fear, I intend to search the forum --- I'm not asking here .

Other than in the deepish snow, I gotta say that the JK is a very capable snow machine. Felt very safe, even when we were sliding down a hill sideways at 5mph on account of the entire hill being liberally coated with black ice. (Ended up stopping with a mailbox two inches from the right rear turn signal)

So yep -- I'm still in love with my JK

Andy
Old 03-01-2007, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy-
Save your pennies and do a economy 2"lift. I enjoyed your snow story- stay safe man. Busting drifts in 4hi is pretty fun though.
Lynn
Seattle, WA.

Quick Reply: Time for new tires. Seriously.