Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

tires and rims screwed up by degreaser.......help.......

Old 07-17-2010, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires and rims screwed up by degreaser.......help.......

so i have a lot porter sitting here at work today doing NOTHING, so i tell him to go clean the bugs off the front of my jeep. a little while later i go to subway to get a sandwich and i look at my wheels and tires and they are all screwed up. i have polished aluminum pro comp wheels with a black rock ring around them. the rims are all white stained and dull and the rock rings have discolored streaks on them. the tires are also all dry looking with streaks on them. turns out he sprayed degreaser all over them and i suppose left it on too long. so now my 8 month old rims / 37" tires look like stir fried ass. needless to say, i am OVERJOYED with the whole situation. anyone ever dealt with this have some advice on how to get my stuff looking decent again?? this is why i NEVER let other people fool with my stuff.....they always seem to screw it up.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap Cade, that sucks. I had put a cleaner on some polished diamond plate one time and it fucked it up like that. Kinda like pouring acid on it. Maybe someone on here knows something, I never could get the diamond plate to a polished look again.

edit, have you tried to clean it off yet?
Old 07-17-2010, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just 4x4 thru some mud and they won't be as noticeable.

Sorry no suggestion though..... Other then maybe there is a cleaner that could remove it?
Good luck with it.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Holy crap Cade, that sucks. I had put a cleaner on some polished diamond plate one time and it fucked it up like that. Kinda like pouring acid on it. Maybe someone on here knows something, I never could get the diamond plate to a polished look again.

edit, have you tried to clean it off yet?
yeah, i tried cleaning it off.......at this point i have basically put a thick coat of tire dressing on the tires to see if i can get them to moisten back up. as for the rims, i was debating powder coating them black anyway, so maybe i'll just have to go that route. more worried about the tires than the rims, since rims are fairly cheap anyway.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

If there was acid in that degreaser, which there prolly was, I'm thinking those rims are f'd. Unless there's some new super polish out there.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Local Headlines.....

" Lot attendant gets ass whipped by frenzied Jeep owner"
Old 07-18-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im not sure how much work you want to go through but I had some polished aluminum wheels that was sprayed with fire retardant I took a buffer and buffing compound to polish them up.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by funwthmud
Im not sure how much work you want to go through but I had some polished aluminum wheels that was sprayed with fire retardant I took a buffer and buffing compound to polish them up.
yeah, i've been doing a little reading and it seems like i could probably get them back if i put in enough time and effort, but i've been wanting to change up the look of my jeep so i am trying to think of something creative i can do with them to make them a little more unique. i am thinking of maybe having them bedlined some sort of color.......maybe dark gray to match the fenders and top???? who knows. thanks for the input.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

isnt that what the lot carries insurance for? lot boy messes up car.. he gets fired and lot insurance buys you a new set of wheels and tires... end of story
-Christopher
Old 07-18-2010, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Local Headlines.....

" Lot attendant gets ass whipped by frenzied Jeep owner"

i'm not much of a fighter mark, how much would you charge to come whip his ass for me??

Quick Reply: tires and rims screwed up by degreaser.......help.......