Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

today is a sad day

Old 02-02-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default today is a sad day

I go outside this morning to unlock the jeep and my remote won't work, so I tried the second remote and had the same result. At this point I was starting to get worried so I open the door with the key and put it in the ignition to turn in the on position and got nothing but an alarm going off in my ear. Now I'm starting to get tears, I try to reset it for 30 minutes and does the same thing. I called my dealer and told them what it was doing so they gave me the number to get it towed. When I saw it leaving on a flat bed I could not hold it in anymore. I never thought I would see this day, my jeep getting hauled away for a problem like this. Sorry, I had to share my feelings. Oh my wife was laughing at me about this. I geuss its a jeep thing to get like this.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Junkie

sorry to here your problems... at least you didn't roll it.

I had that happen with my mercedes... that car taught me three lessons:

1) Batteries die and you can't replace them yourself in most cases (and if you can, you usually dont have the right size)
2) Car alarms only get your attention and nobody else cares
3) Leather is over-rated b/c its hot in the summer and cold in the winter

Lessons Learned: Buy a vehicle with manual locks (if any), cloth seats, and no alarm.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikesjk
I go outside this morning to unlock the jeep and my remote won't work, so I tried the second remote and had the same result. At this point I was starting to get worried so I open the door with the key and put it in the ignition to turn in the on position and got nothing but an alarm going off in my ear. Now I'm starting to get tears, I try to reset it for 30 minutes and does the same thing. I called my dealer and told them what it was doing so they gave me the number to get it towed. When I saw it leaving on a flat bed I could not hold it in anymore. I never thought I would see this day, my jeep getting hauled away for a problem like this. Sorry, I had to share my feelings. Oh my wife was laughing at me about this. I geuss its a jeep thing to get like this.

Damn it! I jusk KNEW the stupid batteries would die in these "upgraded" keys! I assume that's what you mean by "remotes" .
Anyone know what type battery is used in the OEM keys? So I can keep a couple handy.

mikesjk, take a soldering iron to your wife's mascara comb and melt it... just a bit, to exact your revenge for her laughing. Works a treat.

Duffy out.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

The dealer said that 2 wires that are connected to the alarm system were chewed up by a mouse or something, so its not covered under warranty. The good news is they are a great dealership and the service writer is giving me a cheap bill for the labor and the towing is free. I will have my jeep in my hands again tomorrow. I miss not seeing her in the driveway.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Next time leave some crumbs on the floor. lol.

If it was me I would want to see the evidence. I know squirrels in Calig are known for chewing on things in the engine compartment at most National Parks, but MICE?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CIJeep
Next time leave some crumbs on the floor. lol.

If it was me I would want to see the evidence. I know squirrels in Calig are known for chewing on things in the engine compartment at most National Parks, but MICE?
who knows, all I know this is a very reputable dealer in my area for modified jeeps. I wouldn't think they would pull my leg as some of there employees wheel and I see them around.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you drove it more you wouldn't have that trouble

At least you made it thru HFO this weekend. It would have really sucked if it would have do it while at SMORR.

I guess it is time to set some traps
Old 02-02-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikesjk
The dealer said that 2 wires that are connected to the alarm system were chewed up by a mouse or something, so its not covered under warranty. The good news is they are a great dealership and the service writer is giving me a cheap bill for the labor and the towing is free. I will have my jeep in my hands again tomorrow. I miss not seeing her in the driveway.

I got the same problem. Cant use the key to open the Jeep so i use the key in the door, alarm goes off, All lights in the dash where on, Jeep wont start. It just alarmed for 15 mins while i was clicking key non stop. When i opened the door to open the hood alarm goes off again for like 30 mins. they towed my jeep to the dealer and found out that most of my wire were chewed by a rodent/mice/ squirel... whatever!
it wasnt covered by warranty too.
Thank goodness my Insurance covered everything. Delearship quoted $2,540. It happened last wednesday and I could probably pick my Jeep this coming Friday Feb 5.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeez! Have you scratched it yet? I might shed a tear if it burst into flames or get's totaled knowing all the work I've put in it. But not starting? This is actually one of the reasons not to have remote start, power windows, etc. The new jk's have enough electronics already, no need to add more things that are apt to go wrong. Eventually I may change every thing on my jk except the frame and body, go more old school with a 350 Chevy and a TH400 tranny. Rip that dash out and build a flat panel like the ones in my old CJ's and put real gauges. Oh I know about the law of older engines, but I live in Louisiana, they don't really care about that 'round hearn' .
Old 02-02-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

I forget to take pictures when i went to dealer to pick up my things. They showed me the wirings and it looks insane small pieces of wire coverings all around scattered ......almost 80% of the wires were chewed off. they dont know how that hungry animal did it. The insulation/covering the wire were ripped off

Quick Reply: today is a sad day