Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Top Off

Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Off

Alright guys this is my first post, and I am a proud new jeep owner. Being Winter here in PA I haven't got a chance to take the top and doors off yet, but I was wondering if I do come spring time and get caught in the rain will I fry my electronics(stereo mainly) or are they marine equipment ready for this potential threat? Thanks in advance guys for the info, and I'm glad I'm now part of the Jeep community.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Welcome!
I'm 99.9% that it is ok to get your interior wet, not SOAKED, but a little wet. The radio/electronics seem pretty basic so not much to worry about.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not certain if it will affect the electronics but I have driven through rain storms with no problem. Welcome to the club. Where at in pa?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

That's great to know because I plan on pulling the carpets and running top off doors off a lot because quite frankly I don't care if I get a little wet, but I don't want to ruin anything.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Western PA.. Bout halfway between Erie and Pittsburgh as far as north south and about 20 miles from Ohio border
Old 02-01-2011, 04:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

keep the steering wheel dry and you will be Ok.. getting the column wet usually spells disaster for the clock-spring.. esp if you live in an industrial area where the rain may carry higher than normal amounts of conductive materials....

I would invest in a set of water proof seat covers.. or you will likely end up with smelly, dirty seats over a period of time... and def yank the carpet out..

-Christopher
Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome! If you get caught in the rain you will be fine, if you leave the rig in the rain that might be a different story with the stereo. Might wanna look at a cover. They make one for getting caught in the rain when the top and doors are off. Believe it's on Quadratec.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now you see the problem with getting to fancy in a jeep, a fact lost on chrysler. If you are driving down the road the dash is usually protected. So, the problem is when you are parked. An emergency top would be a good investment if you are going to run topless (as in no top at all).

If you run with just the top down then it is better, all the way around, to take a few minutes and pull it up. I was just on 4wheelparts.com and they have a neat bag to put the windows in that gets straped to the rollbar just above the folded top.

Rain drops are not going to hurt but a flood will. I was hosing out my F550 a few years ago and took out my radio display; everything works except for the LCD.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
keep the steering wheel dry and you will be Ok.. getting the column wet usually spells disaster for the clock-spring.. esp if you live in an industrial area where the rain may carry higher than normal amounts of conductive materials....

I would invest in a set of water proof seat covers.. or you will likely end up with smelly, dirty seats over a period of time... and def yank the carpet out..

-Christopher
I hear alot of people say "take out the carpet". Do you rhino line the interior?
Old 02-01-2011, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Howie
I hear alot of people say "take out the carpet". Do you rhino line the interior?
Oh yes, any type of bed liner you can think of has been used. Many threads and how-tos on here. I used UPOL my self.

Quick Reply: Top Off