Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Top Off

Old 02-01-2011, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats awesome....thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Cover the dash when parked

yep, i was caught once....or twice...or you get the point. But on one of the first times, waking up hung over...just trying to get to BOs for a bisuit...the horn just started going off intermitently! Talk about annoying in the drive up line....It wouldn't stop until I yanked the fuse....which cut the motor.... in honesty, I just started yanking fuses till it stopped. *Hung over*

I put them back in about an hour later...still had the horn... SO i left them out for like 5 hours, in the sun, and then it stopped. hasn't since...but that sucked. We cover the steering column now with a rain poncho or garbage bag.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

x4 on all the other posts, letting it sit in the rain is bad!! makes things act weird!

I just park under a tree or somthing most of the time, I live in the Southeast and rain storms pop up fast and furious, I can be at the beach it start raining and by the time i get back to jeep it is over, so pull the carpet if you can. I have mine back in for winter time but spring will be here soon!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everybody has got it about covered. Gee, Toymaster, just from reading that sig of yours your JK sounds friggin sweet, nice build.

I am for sure lining my tub this spring for exactly this reason. My carpet is starting to get a little crusty
Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info guys. ONe of the first mods I plan on doing is pulling the carpets and bedlining the tub. Anyone have an opinion on best brands for this from experience and approximate cost.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 PM
JK Newbie

i had my first jeep when i was in college in florida. There where a couple times when it absolutley poured on my jeep with the top down when i was in class and unable to cover it.

The electronics never acted funny but of course the carpet could get nasty if i didn't let it air out. But most of the time once it rained i would leave the top off and let it air dry for a couple days and the carpet was fine.

After a while the carpet got a little smelly but a $100 detailing did the trick and you could never tell there was ever a time when i had 2 inches of standing water in the footwells. (with both smell and color)
Old 02-08-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Grab your self one of those tarp looking waterproof vehicle covers. You can throw it on in 30 seconds and covers below the doors for when they're off. Best $50 I spent for summertime Jeepin.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

about 3 months after I bought my JK last summer I got caught in a nasty storm.

I was working the door at a bar last summer, it was a Saturday night. This was the 4th day in a row it was a 25 percent chance of rain(FYI...never trust a weatherman in upstate NY). So I figured BS on them...its not gonna rain. Come about midnight I saw it was starting to get cloudy...so I went out and put the soft top up. I had no doors or windows with me. 5 minutes later it downpoured for a half hour straight. I mean it was one of those rains where is was coming down sideways at one point and all I could do was watch my poor 3 month old JK sit there and take it.

Anyways...when I went to go home at 3am I had 3-4 inches of water on the floor...everything was absolutely soaked. The carpet was in, dash soaked, center console contents soaked, seats, etc...you get the idea.
Everything still worked fine. The next morning its was 80 and sunny. I went out...pulled the floor mats and the drain plugs...let it sit in the sun all day and it was like new later that night.

I am very impressed with how weather proof and durable our interiors are. I was sure I ended up frying my radio or something, but I didn't. I def wouldn't push my luck though!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

A Bestop Trail Cover is really nice. I run with the safari top, Windjammer and Duster, and no doors for much of the warmer months and park my Jeep outside.

It's also quite resilient in very large hail.

As for the electronics: Other than those little rubber thingy's for the odometer, etc, buttons, most of the interior electronics is not especially hardened for wet weather. In fact, I'm pretty certain that the stereo gear is virtually identical to what's offered in many other Chrysler models. Having said that, there are plenty of stories of people getting soaked and their gear surviving. But, it's probably a good idea to provide at least some modicum of protection whenever possible.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Was going to post a similar question today.

I got caught out yesterday afternoon without the top. The downpour was pretty heavy for about 10 minutes until I could get out there and put an umbrella over the stereo console.

I ended up using a couple towels to dry everything off and will let things dry out over night.

Anything in particular I should do or focus on making sure is dried off?

Also, any additional suggestions for an inexpensive quick cover for the front area?

I may take to throwing the freedom top panels into the back for rain emergencies.

Quick Reply: Top Off