Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trade it in, sell it, or keep it?

Old 08-14-2017, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trade it in, sell it, or keep it?

My '07 Rubicon Unlimited has 213k miles on it. Still runs great, but I have a check engine light with codes indicating a catalytic converter failure (P0430). Won't pass emissions until I get the cat replaced.

Looking at my options:
  1. Replace the cat ($750 - $1000), and keep driving it until the next thing goes wrong
  2. Trade it in (will the dealer rape me for the high mileage and check-engine light?)
  3. Sell it privately (what will someone pay for a Jeep with that many miles and needing a cat replacement?)

Understanding that Jeeps are not like normal cars, I'm really not sure what to do here - the body, frame, and suspension are all in great shape, and I know someone would buy it (either from me, or from the dealer after I trade it in), drop a new engine in it, and drive it another 200k. That changes the equation as far as resale/trade value. Any other vehicle with that kind of mileage would be sold for scrap or traded in for a few hundred. Jeeps are different.

KBB says the trade-in value in good condition with 200k+ miles is around $8000-$9000. I'd be fine with that, but I'm afraid they're going to offer me like $3000 because of the check-engine light. How much should I insist on as a minimum if I trade it in? Likewise, if I decide to sell it privately, how much should I ask for it? I've scanned the for-sale ads for comparables, but there really aren't any with that kind of mileage to compare to. I saw a few with 150k miles asking around $11-12k. So with more miles and a bad cat, how much is mine worth?

If I keep it, I'll need to spend at least another $1500 on top of the needed repair for new tires and some other work I've been putting off.

Help me decide what to do (or make me an offer! ).
Old 08-14-2017, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most dealers will only give you Fair pricing depending on condition.
If you own it free and clear with that mileage and you have the $$ for a newer Jeep I would trade it in on a newer 12+
Old 08-14-2017, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

This really isn't something the forums can help you out with. If the vehicle still does what you need it to do and you're happy with it then what's another $1200 to avoid paying out much more for something newer? If you're over the vehicle and ready to move on then it's an easy call to get out from it.

200k+ miles is reassuring for those of us still piling on miles
Old 08-14-2017, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

cut the cats out and weld in new ones.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
cut the cats out and weld in new ones.

do you even need the cats? I remember completely removing mine from my 4.0 and life was good. We don't have vehicle emissions testing either here. Just curious????
Old 08-15-2017, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Arson
do you even need the cats? I remember completely removing mine from my 4.0 and life was good. We don't have vehicle emissions testing either here. Just curious????
I would this this will throw DTCs from the downstream O2 sensors?
Old 08-15-2017, 08:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

There's no harm exploring a trade in and seeing what a dealer might actually give you. That gives you a lot more basis with which to make a decision. I'd think that selling privately might be a little tougher given the mileage, but there only needs to be one buyer. Someone might be looking for a nice body/suspension with plans of an LS swap or something.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to do this on an 07 and I bought Denso cats through rock auto and had midas weld them on. I think in total I was at $600.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hemi!

Seriously, if it's in good shape and you still enjoy it, drop a V8 in it. Depending on how you do it, if you want to sell it afterwards you might even make money. Resale on Hemi conversions is insanely high.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:48 AM
JK Junkie

Just throwing this out there... there are some 07's that are covered under the lifetime powertrain. If you're part of that they could possibly cover the cat. I don't think it would be that expensive of a repair, but if it's not rusting and rotting out from underneath you and you still enjoy it, run it til the 3.8 dies and throw another in.

Quick Reply: Trade it in, sell it, or keep it?