Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trail doors - why????

Old 05-09-2011, 01:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When offroading with full doors many people end up with bumps on their head, or bruised arms from hitting the door frames.

As a result people often pull the full doors. Then they are left completely open and some people don't like that feeling so they buy half doors/tube doors as an alternative.

I own and run half doors because of the off roading aspect, but they kind of suck because you can't roll up or down the windows for normal activities. My wife as well isn't a fan of doorless, but I'm not a fan of it either. I like that half doors help my heater efficiency in the mornings (and night wheeling) while they also help my AC which I run during the day.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there was a dude on here that wrote up instructions on how to build wooden doors on the cheap ahahahaha...... no seriously I saw it.

I personally like the ones with the webbing on them. They provide a level of security for the lady friend and from the trail (slightly) plus they look cool and I think they are just as cheap as tube doors plus you get the open air feeling as tube doors.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rickyj
Well, I think it breaks down into two big groups, with a less common third.

#1) Single guys without kids that can run completely doorless.

#2) Guys with a wife, kids, or long term GF. Mine doesn't want to ride doorless or even tubeless.....

#3) The guys that think it just looks better. I was one of them.
You FORGOT the BEST Group #4: Single Ladies without kids who love going doorless and being able to rest their foot on the door hinge while driving

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I like my tube doors (OR Fab) ...
If I had to get Tube doors, it would be the Or-Fab. They provide a place for your mirrors and have a handy dandy gecko pouch to put your "stuff" in i.e. cell phone etc so it doesn't fall out on the trail. It also provides and arm rest and does give some protection to those mean rocks that like to reach in at you when you are at a sideways incline while climbing!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have these and love them for late spring, summer and early fall. They are the Bestop two piece front doors. Actually the jeep won't see the hard doors until fall since I've already put them on for the season. The window section pops off and I can easily fit the tops behind the rear seat so I can enjoy having a half door. They flap a bit in the wind when the windows are on them. Also they used to pull away from the jeep if I was doing highway speeds for a sustained period of time, but I fixed that issue with a couple of bungee cords from the window frame to the middle metal loop above the windshield.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Love Monkey
... Or-Fab. They provide a place for your mirrors ...
Sorry to correct you, Love, but unless they modified the design they don't provide a specific mirror mount. Or did you have something else in mind? In my case, the mirror is mounted to the Mopar bracket (it's a TJ mirror) which attaches to the windshield frame.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 AM
JK Junkie

Sorry to correct you, Love, but unless they modified the design they don't provide a specific mirror mount. Or did you have something else in mind? In my case, the mirror is mounted to the Mopar bracket (it's a TJ mirror) which attaches to the windshield frame.
Yep, its changed. I'll correct you in a minute. Mwahahaha!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Love Monkey
You FORGOT the BEST Group #4: Single Ladies without kids who love going doorless and being able to rest their foot on the door hinge while driving

If I had to get Tube doors, it would be the Or-Fab. They provide a place for your mirrors and have a handy dandy gecko pouch to put your "stuff" in i.e. cell phone etc so it doesn't fall out on the trail. It also provides and arm rest and does give some protection to those mean rocks that like to reach in at you when you are at a sideways incline while climbing!
Love Monkey, you seem like a GREAT girl - but in order to be a GROUP there have to be at least TWO of you. So far you are apparently the only one. So I guess it would break down into three groups and one cool girl.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:15 AM
JK Junkie

Mark go HERE to Paragraph 4!!
perfautogroup.blogspot.com/2011/04/performance-automotive-group-tackles.html
Originally Posted by rickyj
Love Monkey, you seem like a GREAT girl - but in order to be a GROUP there have to be at least TWO of you. So far you are apparently the only one. So I guess it would break down into three groups and one cool girl.
Ooops I guess group WAS the key word there! Probably a good thing there aren't two of me And......thanks

Last edited by Moochie; 05-13-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Please, no direct links to non sponsors (Performance Accesories)

Quick Reply: Trail doors - why????