Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trailer and power tool oppinions

Old 07-21-2008, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer and power tool oppinions

I am considering buying a trailer for my 2 door to carry more camping gear. I am looking for something cheap. I really want a military trailer but they are too expensive for what you get. How would this trailer be(carparts.com/EASYLINE-UTILITY-TRAILER/GP_2014941_N_111+20005364+600022604_10618.car)? Do you guys have anysegestions on another one to buy or a cheap one to build up?

I am also looking to buy a set of power tools. I am thinking RIDGID lithium package with the circular saw recipricating saw hammer drill and impact driver. I am also thinking makita or dewalt. What tools do you guys recomend and what are the best tools for the money? Also would buying reconditioned tools be a good idea?
Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Look around rental places like sunbelt or united rentals. They tend to sell there trailers fairly regulary.I found an 4x7 with 3.5 feet walls for like 52 dollars..is a good trailer especally for the price
Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now if you can find a $50 trailer like the other poster mentioned I'd get it, but...

Harbor Freight has affordable trailers for light duty ( I would not use one of these as a daily work trailer).

Or, keep an eye out at a Gov. Auction for a 3/4 ton.

If someone lived in MA...

Last edited by YellowToy; 07-21-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Pete799
I am also looking to buy a set of power tools. I am thinking RIDGID lithium package with the circular saw recipricating saw hammer drill and impact driver. I am also thinking makita or dewalt. What tools do you guys recomend and what are the best tools for the money? Also would buying reconditioned tools be a good idea?

I highly recomend Milwaukee. In 2nd place I'd place Dewalt followed by Makita. Ridgid - good old Home Depot - they licensed a name and market tools built by Ryobi with a supposed good warranty. BTW, Ryobi is at the bottom of the heap. I asked our local tool repair shop what his favorite brands of tools were and he told me Ridgid and Ryobi. He laughed when he saw the look on my face and explained that he made a lot of money of off them. When I asked about the warranty he explained what I already knew from a woodworking forum - claims get denied becauseof "abuse". But more than that - they will fail when you need them.

I'd get the 18V Lithium Milwaukee or Dewalt set. I've got the 28V Milwaukee set and I don't think I've used a corded tool since I got it.

Oh, one other thing, be careful on the impact driver. In a set that often refers to a tool that is a step below the drill that is designed to sink woodworking screws. I know that DeWalt makes a legit 18V 1/2" impact wrench suitable for automotive work as I recieved one as a gift. I don't know how it worked since I returned it as I already had a Milwaukee 28V 1/2" impact gun.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:02 AM
JK Freak

If your looking for a mil trailer,, they cant be beat.. and can be found if you look hard enough.. I have three for sale but I'm on the east coast so that doesn't help you out. If you go military stay with the 1/2t trailers, the 3/4t are very heavy, like 1k# empty. Check out g503.org, its a military collector site and has a forum area dedicated to the 1/4-1/2t trailers,, the M100-M416 is perfect behind the jk.. Also don't talk about modifying a mil trailer on that board. Its like talking about FJ mods for rockcrawling on this board..
Old 07-22-2008, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

That trailer you posted looks great for light-duty/camping. What's the price?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

i found a trailer made from a toyota 4x4. it sits on the back half of the toyota frame and has the rear axle under it still. i had 300 sq. feet of sod in it and the jeep pulled it with no problem.
i found it sitting in some guys driveway and just rang the doorbell and asked him if he wanted to sell it. picked it up for $200.00.
going to paint it olive drap and paint the wheels black. i'm thinking of trying to find a gas tank that fits in the stock location to hold spare gas for long trips.
it also has a trailer hitch on it and i want to make a hitch mounted bbq grill for it.

Last edited by casaintsfan; 07-22-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:58 PM
JK Freak

the one the op posted looks to be about $449,,
Old 07-22-2008, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the great replies. casaintsfan I tried to do the same thing with an old military trailer that was siting in somebodies driveway with a flat for two years but they did not want to sell so my plans were busted. Is it the short box or regular box and how is it offroad?
Old 07-23-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my trailor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	11141  

Quick Reply: Trailer and power tool oppinions