Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Transmission Leak....6spd, help!

Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Leak....6spd, help!

So driving on the highway yesterday coming back from the US picking up jeep parts, and the clutch pedal started to lose all resistance in the first 3" of pedal travel, Once I got to the border I had to press the pedal all the way to the floor to get it in gear, and ended up stalling several times just getting up to the border guard. managed to get just across the border and then that was it, could not get it in gear, clutch straight to the floor. Bell housing was leaking from the openings, there was both some dark looking fluid as well as lighter colored one, I'm not sure what either is, i was under the impression ATF4 was red? anyways ended up having it flatbedded to the deal who is not open till tuesday.

does anyone have an ideas about what could be the issue? I dont' wanna get screwed by the dealer....
Old 02-14-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

sounds like a slave cylinder
Old 02-14-2010, 10:51 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Rubi2dr
So driving on the highway yesterday coming back from the US picking up jeep parts, and the clutch pedal started to lose all resistance in the first 3" of pedal travel, Once I got to the border I had to press the pedal all the way to the floor to get it in gear, and ended up stalling several times just getting up to the border guard. managed to get just across the border and then that was it, could not get it in gear, clutch straight to the floor. Bell housing was leaking from the openings, there was both some dark looking fluid as well as lighter colored one, I'm not sure what either is, i was under the impression ATF4 was red? anyways ended up having it flatbedded to the deal who is not open till tuesday.

does anyone have an ideas about what could be the issue? I dont' wanna get screwed by the dealer....
No ATF+4 involved here.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

I had the exact same thing happen about an hour ago. After I read this I looked and same fluid leaking out of the bottom of the bell housing.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Ya brother, you have a slave cylinder leaking. Dont let the dealer tell you that your clutch has gone out because they will try to get you for 1300 for new clutch. Same thing happened to me and it was covered under warranty. Dont let them jerk you around. Tell them its the slave cylinder and that stuff was the hydraulic oil i believe???

Not sure but they did the slave cylinder to mine and all is well.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slave cylinder. if you're wild enough to get it fixed under warranty, go back a few days later and say the clutch isn't right still. May be able to get a warranty clutch since the "fluid contaminated the clutch disc". May be worth a shot!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:11 AM
JK Super Freak

thanks guys, we'll see what the dealer says when they open it up tomorrow. Hopefully I dont need a new clutch I had a centerforce clutch put in when I killed my stock one in mud. hopefully this will be under my warrenty.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its not, its a pretty easy repair to do yourself. Replace the slave and bleed it similar to brakes...good to go.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Well apparently the slave cylinder is NOT considered power train, how is this the case when it controls the clutch!?? I hate chrysler with a passion. They know its a common issue yet refuse to take responsibility for it.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Ouch sorry to hear about that. I had to call corporate to have them fix mine and they even said this was a one time fix for me LOL!!!!!

Chrysler sucks.....what are they saying caused the failure....they tried to tell me my lift caused it and the 4 wheel parts manager (who does alot of work for them) laughed in their face and told them they are wrong.

Quick Reply: Transmission Leak....6spd, help!