Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tree through firewall...

Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by putnam dan
the calculation also don't allow for the branch to fracture. the 3" cylinder is also going to be affected by the impact of the firewall against it.
I knew someone would say that.

True.. but keep in mind it's wood.. and you're talking about vectoring of force.

The force on the branch was applied directly to the tip (cause it was such a fluke hit) meaning all the energy (also know as "line of action") was sent straight down the branch rather than at an angle which would have snapped it instead.

Imagine trying to break a pencil by pushing from the tip and the eraser at the same time.. you wont do it.. you'll just have a failed attempt at compressing it.

Same concept behind a spear against a shield.

Vector angles. So you have a vertically placed firewall being impacted by a straight line wooden object.

The erosion process of that wood will of course cause the end to break and mangle some, but the enegry is still there.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will guarantee he was not going fast!!! I will bet he thought he could climb over that white spruce tree..... I will lay some $$$ that the compressed snow around the tree and stem kicked out near the top & middle of the tree....dis-lodging (catapaulting) the entire stem and just happened to sit at the right angle & height to get lodged into his Jeep with his forward progress.

On a few logging shows I have seen branches and stems getting lodged into pick-ups or punctured logging trucks fuel tanks on the Conventional/Cable/heli logging processing sites! It does not take much for a large branch or stem to puncture through the floor with the torque, weight and movement of a +4000lb vehicle along with a sound piece of softwood lodge into the ground!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Laughingstok

Imagine trying to break a pencil by pushing from the tip and the eraser at the same time.. you wont do it.. you'll just have a failed attempt at compressing it.
Hmmm... Is this the same concept that makes it nearly impossible to crack an egg if you squeeze the very top and bottom of it???

(Who's going to run into the kitchen and try it? )
Old 01-03-2008, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok well this same deal just hapend to my wifes jeep we were out trail ridding and my nefew was in the last position in her 07 2 door and he was fallowing us up a trail the tires on the 3/4 ton behind me twisted a root and stump as it passed over them and my nefew didnt see it he hit the root and stump and the axel drove it up past the front drive shaft and riped the wiers 4 the o2 sensor and trans out and only dented the floor board up in to the foot about 5 inches I thought it was a once in a life time deal neeles to say this proves me wrong had we not seen it sooner I have no doubt it would have come through in the same manner. oh and we were going like 2 miels an HR
Old 01-03-2008, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

WOW !!! is right. I bet the ambulance took him to the hospital so the doctors could remove pieces of the seat from his a$$

Last edited by JK Hunter Howdy; 01-03-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

These pics\posts are really hitting the net hard....just saw it on one of the smaller forums that I frequent. Glad the guy was ok in the end.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default HOLY F%$ .... LOOK at this....

MY buddy Found this Link

HOLY SHIT

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522750

Last edited by doojer; 01-04-2008 at 08:15 AM. Reason: edited link
Old 01-04-2008, 02:39 AM
JK Freak

Was posted yesterday. I cannot even imagine. Kinda scary.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don’t like the looks of this at all!! Looks like they used recycled tin cans to make this thing..

(When I saw the thread title, I thought you were being overly dramatic about something but now I see that it was justified. )

Old 01-04-2008, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

i never would have guessed something like that would happen at off roading speeds. some food for thought thats for sure

-shaun h

Quick Reply: Tree through firewall...