Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tree through firewall...

Old 01-04-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw an abandoned ground rod in an overgrown field go through the firewall of a golf cart once. Very similar results. Just about nutted the driver...
Old 01-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adaycj
Looks like the tire fed the tree branch through against the edge of the coil bucket. The driver either gassed it with ESP/TCS off and it fed right though, or he was moving at some non-crawling speed and it fed though. It basically made a gas powered press out of the wood.

The end of the branch is pointed and it is long enough to still being powered though by the tire as it ripped and folded the metal. As suggested by some other posts there, an older vehicle with thicker stamped steel might have avoided this problem. But the conditions for this to occur look very rare. It is likely nearly impossible to reproduce. You do see this type of thing a lot after hurricanes and tornadoes, just not in that location.

To me the lesson isn't "what a cheap Jeep", the lesson is "don't ram a 12 foot long 3 inch in diameter tree".

On the bright side, after some saw work this guy could drive home. What a tough Jeep. It took a three inch tree right though the wheel well and suffered only cosmetic damage .
...and he solved the question of where to run wires through the firewall.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock
Yeah like a driver not paying attention! Look at the size of that tree (picture one). There is no way you could miss that thing laying there. So either he was distracted and didn't see it, or it was one of those "hey, watch this!" type of situations.
Must of been the backseat driver nagging him to turn left into the tree. Now that has never been the case with any of us. "Left, left, LEFT I said"
Old 01-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!! Glad to hear that the driver made it out ok.

$20 says that every guy that looked at those pics had a urge to close their legs.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ragin Gage
you'd have to be a complete moron to keep driving the damn stick all the way thru like that...
I agree. Hay look a big tree in the road, Oh well i'm in a jeep it can make it!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Wow!! Glad to hear that the driver made it out ok.

$20 says that every guy that looked at those pics had a urge to close their legs.
$100 bucks says every guy on here is going to think twice before bombing around trails and playing chicken with downed trees

The guy on that forum linked said the jeep may be a write off... Who wants to buy it from the insurance company and strip it for parts???

Being that it's my idea, I claim the bumper, winch wheels and tires!!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

If anyone bothered reading the forum and the circumstances surrounded. He was traveling at 15km ~10 mph.
The tip of the branch was hanging out onto the trail, got caught and pulled up and into the wheel well.
If you look at its positioning its totally like a spear

Why it went so far in as well as why the grille has a hole in it I dont know?

Last edited by Major Ho; 01-04-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:34 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Major Ho
If anyone bothered reading the forum and the circumstances surrounded. He was traveling at 15km ~10 mph.
The tip of the branch was hanging out onto the trail, got caught and pulled up and into the wheel well.
If you look at its positioning its totally like a spear

Why it went so far in as well as why the grille has a hole in it I dont know?

I was curious about the grill as well. I noticed the smaller hole all the way to the right, but that might just be the winch power lines. Maybe he has a hood lock??
Old 01-04-2008, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

All I know is that WARN bumper makes me jealous.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Laughingstok
All I know is that WARN bumper makes me jealous.
That's the mopar bumper...

Quick Reply: Tree through firewall...