Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Truth about motor oils and how they perform

Old 06-21-2010, 03:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I've never used Royal Purple, I'm sure it's a great oil. But then again I'm sure most name brand oils will also maintain an engine in good working condition if the oil is changed at the proper intervals. I would have to agree with the fact that this was one test, and only tested the film strength under a very harsh condition. Along with that the test was run by the Street Commodores, If you look at the Street Commodores Magazine you will one of their largest sponsors is...........
You guessed it. Royal Purple.
Not saying the test was rigged, just that they have a big sponsor in Royal Purple.
I've used Mobil1 in my Jeeps since 94, and have never had a problem. Recently switched over to Amsoil, not because I think it's any better, but rather because I know a dealer, and can now get it at his cost, which is a bit better than what I was paying for Mobil1. I will say though that after the changeover to Amsoil I got an increase of 1MPG. The driving habits, and conditions have not changed so I just can't explain it.
I'll add this guy is a motorhead, and has been using Amsoil in his Vehicles including a 65 "396" Vette, 70 HemiCuda, and a 96 Dodge Ram 2500. He uses the Amsoil 100% synthetic with an Amsoil filter, and changes it once a year. He's never had a problem with loosing or burning oil. I'd put my confidence in a real world driving than a test.
Just sayin'
Old 06-21-2010, 01:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I know is that I was running Royal Purple for a little over a year and I had no problems. Then all of a sudden it started burning oil. I posted about it and a couple others had the same thing happen. I switched to Mobil 1 and all is well again. I've always heard Amsoil is good, so I may try that next.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my personal experience, I would put more importance on the filter than the brand and type of oil. I've seen filters fail and cause serious damage, or be overly restrictive and wear out pumps and lines.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHOoooo

I just randomly picked the Valvaoline Durablend oil last week when I did my oil change!!! Good to know I picked the 2nd best one. And for the price its def #1!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by justbandit55
WHOoooo

I just randomly picked the Valvaoline Durablend oil last week when I did my oil change!!! Good to know I picked the 2nd best one. And for the price its def #1!!!
It might indeed be second best, but at what? Even the manufacturer of the test device for the procedure being used stopped manufacturing it decades ago because it was not a reliable indicator. This is simply misinterpretation of a single test result that the test developer now discredits on their own website (or did you skip over my earlier posting to that effect?).

Having said that, I think you're fine with Valvoline. But, not because of anything garnered from this bogus test.

Quick Reply: Truth about motor oils and how they perform