Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tuffy Door Hinge Locks...any good?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuffy Door Hinge Locks...any good?

In light of the recent "4 Doors & Hood stolen" thread, I saw these:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11150_0003.htm

Anyone used these? They any good? Granted I'm fully covered, but seems like these might be cheap insurance against the aggravation of having them stolen in the first place.

Last edited by Steelgrave; 09-27-2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: I cn't spel
Old 09-27-2011, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

I dont like the name being visible, my Jeep isnt a billboard. But thats just me, Im not one to slap stickers on my dirt bikes or Jeep; I even remove dealer name stickers.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Those look boss. I was thinking the same thing about that thread. But he also has a soft top. I want to lock my hood for sure now too.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Don't waste your money on these IMO. I had em, they're a bitch to get off without scratching the doors if you want to remove the doors, plus with some vice grips they're easily removed anyway, even when they ARE locked, so they serve zero purpose..

Oh, and mine rusted up so this previous spring a basically had to destroy them to get em off.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scotty6336
Don't waste your money on these IMO. I had em, they're a bitch to get off without scratching the doors if you want to remove the doors, plus with some vice grips they're easily removed anyway, even when they ARE locked, so they serve zero purpose..

Oh, and mine rusted up so this previous spring a basically had to destroy them to get em off.
Thats what I was afraid of. Oh well thanks!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I started thinking security as well after that thread. i was thinking this:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...k-alarm-system
Old 09-27-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have these and don't like them. I had a hard time trying to install them and was afraid of scratching the paint. Not much room to work with.

I've ordered the ones from Quadratec for $33 and will try those. I plan to just use 1 of them along with the factory bolt for each door. Factory is Torx and the Quadratec is Allen so if someone wants to steel my doors, they will need 2 tools to remove them. Not the best but should slow them down. If someone does their homework and has the T50 for the stock bolts, hopefully they won't have the correct size Allen wrench with them for the Quadratec bolts.

I've also ordered the locking hood hinges as well. That thread about the hood and doors being stolen has made me nervous.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ylojelo
I started thinking security as well after that thread. i was thinking this:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...k-alarm-system
I've had my eye on that thread for a while and even purchased the Motion Sensor but never installed it in my '08. Now I am thinking of installing it in my '12. I worry about getting the sensitivity set right as I know the neighborhood cats sleep on my Jeep almost every night. I would like to have a better security system than stock.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scotty6336

I second this. I just took mine off the other day before they rusted. I went overboard on hood locks and etc. with my CJ7 and started to with my JK, but it is just not worth it when you have full coverage. Sometimes you come out ahead (buy an AEV hood when the factory one gets stolen, or buy used doors after the ins. company sends you the check for full door dealer replacement).
Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

What keeps someone from simply unscrewing the hinge from the door? These locks won't stop that. IMO these hinge locks are worthless. Four torx screws and the door is off.

Quick Reply: Tuffy Door Hinge Locks...any good?