Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

two piece soft doors?

Old 01-09-2009, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two piece soft doors?

I know this has probably been posted in the past..but who has all 4 soft doors on their jeep? I have a yellow X and reallllyyy want these doors for the summer! I have heard good and bad about them but I loved them when I had them on my '80 Cj7 but I heard they are a little harder on the 4 door. I might also just get the front 2 doors for now but would that look dumb with 2 front soft doors and then the rear factory?

also where is the best place to buy them...as far as price!?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got just the fronts for X-mas. I would call them emergency only doors. they fit in the back of the jeep reel good (witch is where they spend all most all of the time) and when it starts to rain, it is better the geting wet. (or less wet then haveing no doors)

Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

how can someone go about buying the steel half doors, dealer? or other companies
Old 01-09-2009, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

lots of companies sell the tube doors.

Yea I mainly want the soft doors for the summer if I have the doors off and just need to throw them on. I made the mistake of getting freakin power windows so taking the 4 doors off is a pain in the ass! So i just wanted something lighter to take on and off in a flash.

But I was thinking about just getting the 2 front doors first cause those are the ones I like to mainly take off...but it might look weird with 2 black soft fronts and 2 stock yellow back doors!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:00 AM
JK Freak

warrior products has a steel half door shell. this is a question that is bugging me as well. factory half doors are out of the question, unless you trade it in for half door JK or. To build em would be around 7800 for all 4 doors.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Wes
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to pick up a set during the summer so I can leave my doors off. Having to store them upstairs is a pain in the ass. Also, not having a garage an living in a town house complex I don't like to leave my JK uncovered at night because of random animals or people that would like to crawl into it for the night. I just want these for the fact that it will keep most unwanted creatures out.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ghostryder
how can someone go about buying the steel half doors, dealer? or other companies
They are yours for about $5000-$7000. Do a search on the forum....
Old 01-09-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
They are yours for about $5000-$7000. Do a search on the forum....
$5,000???? did you mean to put $500.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default here is my 2c, btw i've since sold them, just go doorless

Same story here - I've had mine almost two months now and I've had all of the problems that have been discussed in this thread from the passenger window pins not lining up to the seal around the front and rear radius' of all 4 doors being off to the rear doors not closing and finally the nuts coming off of the latches.

I got the passenger window pins bent enough to put it on, however removing the window is very difficult - the other three just slide in & out.

I've not had any significant problems with water comming in the bottom edge of the doors as a result of the poor fit - this is with rain however. If it were a creek crossing it would just poor in!

The rear doors - they wouldn't close - the metal support for the upper pin hit the door hinge when the latch was 12" from catching! - THIS CAN BE ADJUSTED - although not how it states in the instructions. It took a timely trial and error process of puting one pin in at a time and bending it away, and also putting the rear doors in the front door hinges so that you could close it past its normal position to get enough range to bend it. Once I got them to close, I ground the support down abit for clearance.

Some have said it before - you really have to work with these to get a good fit! I also found adjusting the velco on the uppers helps with positioning around the door frames.

I have two remaining issues:

1 - the front windows, despite appearing to be a good fit, pull away at highway speeds. A small bungee around the roll bar to the zippers have contained this.

2. the driver's latch does not reset itself sometimes from the "release" position.

How do I rate them: (1-5, 5 being the best)

Price Value - 2 - way off the mark for $400+ pair. Quality of materials is good, construction is poor

Ease of use - 4 - it would be a 5 if the passenger front window fit on better. I stack the 2 front doors and all 4 windows behind the rear seat and hold them against the back seat with a bungee cord. If the door surrounds are on, they are out and on in less than 2 minutes!

Cool factor - 5. I can't imagine exposing my jeep to constant elements - it's great piece of mind to know there there when I need them and allow me to be doorless 90% of the time.

Noise factor - 1. These are very loud at highway speeds with the windows in and closed. The front door material likes to 'flap' against the frame. I silenced this with a 18" piece of copper pipe insulation.

Had it to do over I probably would have gotten the Element doors with the enclosures as I rarely put the uppers in. It takes a heavy sideways rain to get in. The lowers provide enough protection from road spray.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OlegFl
I'm trying to sell my full metal doors. When I get them sold I'm getting the Bestop Element tube doors, the element tube door plate (which will make it a steel half door) and the uppers. I pretty much plan on relying on that all year round.
You mean like these?

The last pic is the Element Door Bags. They're GREAT for additional storage!

Total cost with Upper Windows & Painting, was $1,092. Well worth it during the Spring/Summer!

Yes... $5K is about right for a set of Factory Half-Doors for a JKL. 2-Dr's run about $3K! CRAZY expensive!

Cheers!

BB

Quick Reply: two piece soft doors?