Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

uconnect and sms (text) messaging

Old 08-27-2013, 02:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uconnect and sms (text) messaging

Hi, I have a 2013 sport s with the stock stereo that supports the uconnect/Sirius option..nothing real fancy. I have a Samsung galaxy s4 and it works well pairing up for bluetooth. I can get SMS messages through the unit..but its not always consistent. Wondering if anyone else has experience with this and if there is a remedy. Also I have an older iPod nano that I plug in, and when it plays without me forwarding to the next track, the title info on the head unit remains on the previous track..it never updates the info unless I manually skip a track. Its not a big deal, I'd just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone else has experienced it.
Thanks!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

The system is real jank.. I have it on my 2012 and never works with my iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0

Sent from my Obama phone using JK-Forum
Old 09-04-2013, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of issues are you having with the iOS7?

Originally Posted by 08rubie
The system is real jank.. I have it on my 2012 and never works with my iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0

Old 09-04-2013, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

1) Can you explain how the texting is "inconsistent"
2) Which Nano do you have?
3) Uconnect does not download your media from the iPod into its memory, it can only display what is sent to it by the iPod. If the iPod doesn't send the data automatically, Uconnect can't display it. It sounds like the data is updated when you manually change tracks which means that the iPod is only sending the data when asked by Uconnect.

Originally Posted by jeepinjack
Hi, I have a 2013 sport s with the stock stereo that supports the uconnect/Sirius option..nothing real fancy. I have a Samsung galaxy s4 and it works well pairing up for bluetooth. I can get SMS messages through the unit..but its not always consistent. Wondering if anyone else has experience with this and if there is a remedy. Also I have an older iPod nano that I plug in, and when it plays without me forwarding to the next track, the title info on the head unit remains on the previous track..it never updates the info unless I manually skip a track. Its not a big deal, I'd just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone else has experienced it.
Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xsdbs
What kind of issues are you having with the iOS7?
iOS 7 is still in beta so its full of little bugs. You cannot receive messages from your iPhone with uConnect, this is due to how Siri deals with an incoming call over bluetooth.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Siri sucks 2

Old 09-05-2013, 02:25 AM
JK Newbie

I don't know what version nano it is..I do update the firmware when iTunes says its available. I bought it in 2009. Its no big deal..just curious about it. As far as text messages with my galaxy, after I pair the Bluetooth, I have to hit the uconnect button so it says "### is now connected" then usually it works. I just thought that once its paired, its paired and you don't have to "try" it to see its connected. I also I wish to hell that you can hit a button and speak a text to send or reply instead of the stupid canned messages. I guess I shouldn't complain cause I didn't even know it had the text feature lol
Old 09-05-2013, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well in that case then the issue is with Apple and not Uconnect. There are other vehicle mfg's that have the same issue. The part about not getting incoming messages with the iPhone doesn't have anything to do with how calls and SIRI work together.
1) For incoming messages Uconnect needs to get a notification from the phone, in the case with the iPhone, it doesn't send the notification. Instead it sends an "error" message. This is because when the message comes into the phone and the phone sends the notification to Uconnect, that new message should be in an "out" folder (as it is with other phones). The problem is that Apple doesn't support an "out folder" so they send an error message. Apple has known about this since the 4S came out and don't desire to anything about it. Uconnect won't make a bandaid for this issue and take the chance of screwing something up for all the other phones that it already works with.
2) The issue with SIRI (also visual voice mail and voice memos) is that when you're in one of those feature and recieve an incoming call, you see that there is an incoming call but Apple doesn't send a long enough message that will display the pop up for "accept / ignore". So if you try to accept the call with the Uconnect button, Apple drops the feature that you're in and transfers the call to your voicemail. This can cause you to become distracted from driving and possibly cause an accident. So SIRI and other features are not supported.

Originally Posted by TH3APPL3GUY
iOS 7 is still in beta so its full of little bugs. You cannot receive messages from your iPhone with uConnect, this is due to how Siri deals with an incoming call over bluetooth.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome to the wonderful, controlled apple environment! Thanks for the information regarding the issue. I'm just starting as a software developer and I'll take all the information I can get!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also noticed on 2013 JK that I do not receive the notice of text messages when connected to UConnect. I have a Droid X2

I have had 3 other vehicles with UConnect with the same exact phone, and I always received the message on them. It isn't a big deal since I don't get a lot of text messages.

If you want to use speech to text with UConnect, you will need to download an app that allows that to work. I know this only worked on a few of the available apps out there but not sure which ones.

Quick Reply: uconnect and sms (text) messaging