Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

uconnect and sms (text) messaging

Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Once you pair the phone it is paired. However there is a difference in "paired and connected". Being paired means that the phones address is known to Uconnect and Uconnects address is known to the phone. When you get into the vehicle Uconnect will power up and send out a search for any paired devices that is stored in it, once that device is found then there is communication between the 2, your phonebook is downloaded, then your last 10 message stored in the phone are downloaded, then A2DP is connected for streaming audio. This could take up to 1 minute or so for Uconnect to become fully functional.
3) Depending on which radio that you have (touchscreen) will display a signal & battery strength indicator when the radio is on, the base non touchscreen radio will only display these icons when the Uconnect button is pressed. Your phone will also display "paired" during this process and then "connected" once it has gone thru the above mentioned steps.
4) The issue that I have found with trying to speak a text is that the system that receives your words to translate to text usually doesn't always get what you said correct. (no, not even SIRI, there are times that I just want to throw here out the window)
This can also cause driver distraction because when the message is repeated back to you, you're paying attention to hear if what you said is what is in text. Most likely it's not, then you have to go thru it all over again and possibly again. Now you're just ticked off and say something generic anyway like "I'll call you later".
It's safer to have a simple list of prerecorded messages, if I really need to send a more important message, I'll just pull over, send it and drive off.

Originally Posted by jeepinjack
I don't know what version nano it is..I do update the firmware when iTunes says its available. I bought it in 2009. Its no big deal..just curious about it. As far as text messages with my galaxy, after I pair the Bluetooth, I have to hit the uconnect button so it says "### is now connected" then usually it works. I just thought that once its paired, its paired and you don't have to "try" it to see its connected. I also I wish to hell that you can hit a button and speak a text to send or reply instead of the stupid canned messages. I guess I shouldn't complain cause I didn't even know it had the text feature lol
Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsdbs
1) Once you pair the phone it is paired. However there is a difference in "paired and connected". Being paired means that the phones address is known to Uconnect and Uconnects address is known to the phone. When you get into the vehicle Uconnect will power up and send out a search for any paired devices that is stored in it, once that device is found then there is communication between the 2, your phonebook is downloaded, then your last 10 message stored in the phone are downloaded, then A2DP is connected for streaming audio. This could take up to 1 minute or so for Uconnect to become fully functional.
3) Depending on which radio that you have (touchscreen) will display a signal & battery strength indicator when the radio is on, the base non touchscreen radio will only display these icons when the Uconnect button is pressed. Your phone will also display "paired" during this process and then "connected" once it has gone thru the above mentioned steps.
4) The issue that I have found with trying to speak a text is that the system that receives your words to translate to text usually doesn't always get what you said correct. (no, not even SIRI, there are times that I just want to throw here out the window)
This can also cause driver distraction because when the message is repeated back to you, you're paying attention to hear if what you said is what is in text. Most likely it's not, then you have to go thru it all over again and possibly again. Now you're just ticked off and say something generic anyway like "I'll call you later".
It's safer to have a simple list of prerecorded messages, if I really need to send a more important message, I'll just pull over, send it and drive off.
Anyone have the issue of the phone auto disconnecting from uconnect while dialing a call? I find it happens on my S3 fairly often.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

1) What SW version do you have in the phone?
2) What network do you have?
3)When it "disconnects", does Uconnect reply with "call complete"?
4) When this happens, is the call still going thru on the phone itself?

Originally Posted by seribralcrow
Anyone have the issue of the phone auto disconnecting from uconnect while dialing a call? I find it happens on my S3 fairly often.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

1) What SW version do you have in the phone?
2) What network do you have?
3)When it "disconnects", does Uconnect reply with "call complete"?
4) When this happens, is the call still going thru on the phone itself?
1. Android 4.1.2
2. Verizon
3. Yes
4. Yes
Old 09-07-2013, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll get with a buddy next week that has the S3 phone and check it out. What usually is happening when this happens is that when you make a call thru Uconnect, it tells the phone to place the call, the phone starts to place the call, Uconnect will ask about the call (does the phone have an active call) the phone needs to respond back if the call is active or not. If the phone responds back with "false" or not at all, then Uconnect will assume that there is not an active call and give the "call completed" prompt. Uconnect uses this method to know if it should keep the radio in the hands free mode or tell it to go back to radio mode.

1. Android 4.1.2
2. Verizon
3. Yes
4. Yes
Old 09-09-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, well my buddy's phone works fine with the same SW that you have. Can you try something for me? Remove the phone battery for a few minutes and then reinsert it. Try to place a call. Let me know what happens,

I'll get with a buddy next week that has the S3 phone and check it out. What usually is happening when this happens is that when you make a call thru Uconnect, it tells the phone to place the call, the phone starts to place the call, Uconnect will ask about the call (does the phone have an active call) the phone needs to respond back if the call is active or not. If the phone responds back with "false" or not at all, then Uconnect will assume that there is not an active call and give the "call completed" prompt. Uconnect uses this method to know if it should keep the radio in the hands free mode or tell it to go back to radio mode.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

@ seribralcrow, did you try removing the battery and rebooting the phone?

Ok, well my buddy's phone works fine with the same SW that you have. Can you try something for me? Remove the phone battery for a few minutes and then reinsert it. Try to place a call. Let me know what happens,
Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

@ seribralcrow, did you try removing the battery and rebooting the phone?
Sorry, I missed your last message. Thanks for checking in again. That is generally how I fix it, but the issue comes backs every few days/weeks. I restart the phone and it works again for some random period of time.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is an issue with our phones these days. They're no longer a phone but a little computer and they do need rebooting occasionally just like our regular computers. They get apps working in the background, start slowing down and things just don't work correctly so a reboot is in order. I have an iPhone (provided by work) and my family all have various Android phones, we have just got in the habit of rebooting once a month unless things start happening.

Sorry, I missed your last message. Thanks for checking in again. That is generally how I fix it, but the issue comes backs every few days/weeks. I restart the phone and it works again for some random period of time.

Quick Reply: uconnect and sms (text) messaging