Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Unknown ETC code

Old 06-01-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unknown ETC code

My jeep will occasionally not start, just an audible click. I take it to the dealer and they tell me its not showing any dtc codes, but its got to be the TIPM. So I buy one and install it yesterday. Today, it doesn't start again...just that same "click". So I plug in the Superchips and I get 2 codes. U118B, and U118A. It says " Lost communication with ADS mod right and left. I cannot find ANY info about these codes. Can anyone out there give me some insight? I am really pissed off at the dealer for troubleshooting on my dime.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

I meant AFS mod... Sorry.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You gotta love it when they just start throwing parts at it!

Try pulling the code this way and report back...

Instructions

1. Insert the key into your Jeep's ignition. Rotate it to the "On" position (third position) without starting the engine.

2. Push inward on the key (toward the ignition), and quickly rotate the key from the "On" position to the "Acc" position (second position) three times, ending in the "On" position.

3. Pay attention to the lights in your instrument cluster. If you've done everything correctly, all of the lights will light up and six dashes (- - - - - -) will appear on your odometer for a brief period.

4. Observe the odometer and write down any diagnostic trouble codes that it displays. The codes should appear immediately after the six dashes. If there are no codes in the Jeep's computer, the odometer will read "-done-" after the dashes.

5. Rotate the key to the "Off" position, and remove the key from the ignition.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:27 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply. The odd thing is, no codes come up when follow the steps as you describe, but I get codes when I diagnose with the Superchips. But if I look up DTC codes...the ones that I'm getting ate not listed. I have no idea what a left or right AFS Module is. And I can't find ANY info using Google.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:49 AM
JK Junkie

AFS typically refers to Adaptive Front-lighting System. These are the headlights that move when you steer your vehicle around turns.

I have no idea why the Superchips would be pulling that code.

Are you able to tell where the click is coming from? What happens...does it click a couple times and then the Jeep finally starts?
Old 06-02-2012, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

The click seems to be coming from under the hood. If I hear the click and I move the shifter through each position...down all the way and then back to "P", it starts right up. My battery is new. The mechanic was with me when it clicked and he said it was the TIPM. The click and fail to start syndrome is random but has definitely become more frequent. I thank you all so much for pitching in on this!!!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:01 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Not sure if this will help you but go to Quadratec web site, type in jeep codes and it should take you to a long list of possible codes your jeep could show.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, I did come across that Quadratech list during my search, but the codes I am getting were not listed there. It's really weird!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by hapnincapt
The click seems to be coming from under the hood. If I hear the click and I move the shifter through each position...down all the way and then back to "P", it starts right up. My battery is new. The mechanic was with me when it clicked and he said it was the TIPM. The click and fail to start syndrome is random but has definitely become more frequent. I thank you all so much for pitching in on this!!!
That almost sounds like the neutral safety switch is flaking out. Still no ideas on the codes...
Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OBD2 Codes Explained

OBD-II codes consist of a number of parts. Here is a sample OBD2 code:

P0171

Here is a breakdown of what each digit of the code means:

First Character - SystemThe first character identifies identifies the system related to the trouble code.

P = Powertrain
B = Body
C = Chassis
U = Undefined
Second Digit - Code TypeThe second digit identifies whether the code is a generic code (same on all OBD-II equpped vehicles), or a manufacturer specific code.

0 = Generic (this is the digit zero -- not the letter "O")
1 = Enhanced (manufacturer specific)
Third Digit - Sub-SystemThe third digit denotes the type of sub-system that pertains to the code

1 = Emission Management (Fuel or Air)
2 = Injector Circuit (Fuel or Air)
3 = Ignition or Misfire
4 = Emission Control
5 = Vehicle Speed & Idle Control
6 = Computer & Output Circuit
7 = Transmission
8 = Transmission
9 = SAE Reserved
0 = SAE Reserved
Fourth and Fifth DigitsThese digits, along with the others, are variable, and relate to a particular problem. For example,a P0171 code means P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1).

The following users liked this post:
W2RTO (03-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Unknown ETC code