Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Valve Stem replacement on 2009?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Valve Stem replacement on 2009?

Last month I was filling my tires with air and noticed on my front passenger tire that the top part of my valve stem where the cap screws on was broken. This prevented me from being able to fill the air in that tire.

See here:

So as you can see the top of the air valve is hanging out from the stem and I'm wondering what it will take to fix this?

So far, I've read this is a pretty common problem and the most economical solution is to buy a valve stem replacement kit from Napa for tires with TPMS, which I have.
NAPA AUTO PARTS

Do I have to have the tire dismounted from the wheel to be able to fix this?
Old 12-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

I just found this video on Youtube from someone with a Patriot with the same problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC2x6OIco48 I totally agree.....this is some "cheap crap" Jeep is putting on their vehicles for something that very well could cause a life threatening situation.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

The tire bead will have to be separated from the wheel. I don't think the tire has to be completely removed.

What you have usually happens when a steel cap is put on the stem. It corrodes on and the stem breaks when the cap is removed with force.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The tire bead will have to be separated from the wheel. I don't think the tire has to be completely removed.

What you have usually happens when a steel cap is put on the stem. It corrodes on and the stem breaks when the cap is removed with force.
Thanks for the info. It sounds like I'll have to take it in to get fixed then.

Just an FYI, I never had metal caps placed on these stems. I only had the OEM grey plastic caps on them, then eventually one by one my caps disappeared after having my oil changed, where they tend to fill your tires to the correct pressure and then forget to put your valve stem caps back on.

It's most likely due to a combination of Michigan salted roads, cheap aluminum stems, and my obsession on keeping my car clean and washing it.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't had a chance to bring my Jeep in to get this fixed due to visiting family for the holidays, but today my front driver's side was low in pressure and I went to fill it and noticed this side is also broken.

70K miles on my JKU and the valve stems are literally crumbling apart in the beginning of the winter season.

I was talking to my mom about this who has a 2008 Dodge Journey with very low miles and she had her front driver's side tire just go flat as she was pulling into her drive way. My brother inspected it and saw the valve stem was just broken off.

This is some really poor quality crap Chrysler is putting out there. I'm actually pretty surprised there is not a recall for this. To think there's a recall for the break line, where there's a "potential" the break line could rub against a fender flare and then there's this where the valve stem just crumbles into pieces which seems pretty dangerous in my book in comparison.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

I've also found similar complaints.

Originally Posted by 2009 Chrysler Towne and Counter
OVER THE PAST 3 YEARS 3 OF MY 4 VALVE STEMS HAVE CRACKED AND FAILED. THESE WERE ALUMINUM STEMS ORIGINAL TO THE VEHICLE. THEY HAVE ALL CRACKED IN THE THREADS. TOTAL FAILURE RESULTS IN A SUDDEN LOSS OF ALL TIRE PRESSURE. FORTUNATELY, ALL HAVE BROKEN WHILE THE VEHICLE WAS AT REST. TYPICALLY IT IS PROCEEDED BY A LOW TIRE PRESSURE WARNING, THEN WHEN THE VALVE STEM CAP IS REMOVED (TO ADD AIR) THE TOP PORTION OF THE STEM AND THE VALVE ITSELF COMES OFF (ONCE VIOLENTLY, SHOOTING THE VALVE ACROSS THE GARAGE).
Yep...sounding exactly what I'm seeing.

Originally Posted by 2009 Chrysler Towne and Counter
Apr 21, 2013 - Shaker Hts., OH - Tires
4/4/13 TRAVELING ON FREEWAY TIRE SUDDENLY BLOW OUT WITHOUT ANY WARNING FROM TPM SYSTEM. I HAD TO CALL EMERGENCY ROAD SERVICES TO REPLACE TIRE WITH SPARE AND IMMEDIATELY WENT TO A TIRE DEALERS WHERE SENSOR ON REAR TIRE HAD TO BE REPLACED. I HAD TO REPLACE 2 MORE SENSORS WITHIN 2 WEEK PERIOD 4/18/13 WHICH HAD CRACKED. THERE WAS NO WARNING NOTICE FROM TPM THAT THERE WAS A PROBLEM AND ONLY NOTICE ADDITIONAL SENSOR AT TIME VEHICLE WAS GETTING OIL CHANGE AT DEALERSHIP. DEALERSHIP HAD REPLACED A 4TH TIRE SENSOR A YEAR AGO. DEALERSHIP FAILED TO PLACE ME ON NOTICE OF THE PROBLEMS WITH THE SENSORS UNITS AND THE COST OF REPLACING UNITS CAME OUT OF MY POCKET.

Apr 14, 2013 - Williamsville, NY - Pressure Monitoring And Regulating Systems
THIS IS THE SECOND TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR THAT BROKE WHILE INFLATING TIRES. THIS IS A REAL SAFETY ISSUE AND THE SENSORS SHOULD BE RECALLED. I AM WORRIED ABOUT THE OTHER TWO BREAKING WHILE DRIVING THE VEHICLE RESULTING IN AN ACCIDENT.

Feb 23, 2012 - Monaca, PA - Valve
2009 CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY. MANAGER FROM THE ALLIANCE FOR CONSUMER PROTECTION SENT CORRESPONDENCE ON BEHALF OF CONSUMER IN REGARDS TO BLOWN TIRE AND VALVE STEM WHILE DRIVING 65 MPH, THE CONSUMER EXPERIENCED A TIRE BLOW OUT. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO A TIRE SHOP, WHERE THE HE WAS INFORMED THE VALVE STEM HAD BROKE OFF AND A RUBBER STEM HAD TO BE INSTALLED. THE SENSOR HAD TO BE REPLACED AND AN ALIGNMENT WAS PERFORMED. IN OCTOBER 2011, WHILE INSTALLING BRAKES ON THE VEHICLE, THE CONSUMER NOTICED ANOTHER VALVE STEM HAD BROKEN OFF AT THE TIP, WHICH HE ALSO REPLACED. IN FEB 2012, THE CONSUMER WAS INFORMED THAT THERE WAS A HOLE IN THE VALVE STEM AGAIN. UPON INSPECTION OF THE VALVE STEMS, IT WAS APPARENT, THE VALVE STEMS WERE DETERIORATING FROM CORROSION FROM BAD METAL AND ROAD ELEMENTS USED TO TREAT ROADS IN BAD WEATHER, SUCH AS SALT. THE CONSUMER WAS CONVINCED THE VALVE STEMS WERE MADE FROM ALUMINUM AND THE ROAD ELEMENTS WERE CAUSING THE VALVES TO FAIL, ESPECIALLY IN THE NORTHERN PART OF THE COUNTRY.
The list goes on and on.....see here

Chrysler Town And Country Tires - 2009 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY Problems With Tires

Something to take note of, is that it seems most of these reports seem to happen in states where salt is put on the roads in the winter.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-03-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

There is plenty of salt here in Maine. My stems are doing just fine. No sign of corrosion.

I wonder if that's because I clean the wheels, including the stems and the back sides of the wheels, each time I do a tire rotation.
A couple of JKs I am familiar with are doing fine, too.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% accurate, I've replaced valve stems like this in the past. Just ensure that you don't drop pieces down inside the tire, it'll drive you nuts.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by karls
100% accurate, I've replaced valve stems like this in the past. Just ensure that you don't drop pieces down inside the tire, it'll drive you nuts.
When I get new tires, I'm going with the rubber stemmed TPMS sensors. (I can't get these tires to wear out, though.)
Old 01-04-2014, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

There is plenty of salt here in Maine. My stems are doing just fine. No sign of corrosion.

I wonder if that's because I clean the wheels, including the stems and the back sides of the wheels, each time I do a tire rotation.
A couple of JKs I am familiar with are doing fine, too.
Each summer I do the same with mine. I didn't see any corrosion on mine either, they just seemed to become weak and brittle and then crumbled apart.

In both instances now, I went to put air in the tire and placed the air nozzle on top of the valve stem and noticed the tire didn't seem to be filling. Upon further inspection, I noticed the top of the stem was cracked all the way around.

I'm starting to wonder if there's some type of different road agent that's used in the Michigan region? Going through all the Town and Country similar reports, I'm seeing a trend in the following states: MI, PA, OH, NY, NJ and IL. No Maine.

Quick Reply: Valve Stem replacement on 2009?