Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Have you had an injury sustained while...
Wheeling the jeep?
8.70%
Driving down a street?
95.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Vehicle Related injuries

Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vehicle Related injuries

Im trying to prove to my girlfriend that wheeling the Jeep is mostly safer than drving on roads with typical idiot drivers...

Please only answer this poll if you have had an injury from a crash, whether it is multi vehicle or single vehicle on the streets

OR if you had an injury from wheeling, whether it be while in or out of the Jeep.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A minivan plowed into my driver side door of my '95 Bronco. Jammed the door shut, had to get out the passenger side. Totaled the Bronco too (though I bought it and fixed it up and still drive it today)

Been hit a couple times in an '81 F-100 (mostly low speed) and my head went through the back window from being rear-ended.

All my accidents were someone else's fault. Luckily nothing major as far as injuries to me.

No accidents in the JK yet (though now that I say that, I'm sure I just jinxed that)

Never been injured, or know of injuries from off-roading, in Jeeps, Bronco, or Pickup... yet.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Junkie

luckily, I have never been hurt in either situation, I feel this should be a fairly accurate place to post this poll since most of the users do wheel their vehicles..
Of course the amount of miles spent on the street are much higher than the miles spent wheeling..
But it should give me some sort of argument I can use to gert her to go more, she thinks its the most dangerous thing in the world...

I keep telling her we are more likely to get hurt on the way to go wheeling than when we are while actually wheeling
Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

Let's be real here: You run a MUCH higher risk of damage to your *vehicle* while out wheeling, if you look only at the terrain. But if you're a skilled driver, it lessens the risk considerably, and there's a near-zero risk that another driver will hurt you or your vehicle.

On the other hand, when you're on the road and in traffic, your life is in the hands of distracted idiot drivers. The terrain your vehicle is on won't do much worse than possibly flatten a tire, but an idiot in a speeding SUV can put a BIG hurt on you and your vehicle.

I speak from experience - I've been in more than my fair share of accidents, ALL due to "the other driver," and even suffered a pretty bad back injury years ago. I've never felt as unsafe off-road as I have on-road, because it's "the other guy" that you've got to watch out for... rocks don't typically t-bone you.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Freak

No wheeling incidents in my short time with the Jeep. I have fallen several times on a motorcross track as well with no injuries. The only pain I have is in my neck and that was caused from a car accident. Traffic stopped rather quickly and the guy behind me noticed I stopped suddenly but the guy behind him hit me at around 45 mph. Any kind of accident is possible but when it is an offroading accident the only person to blame would be the driver, the trails cant rearend you or blindside you. As long as you are cautious and dont wheel alone, you can minimize your risks.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

i was in a wreck in my brothers ranger where some dummy ran a light and t-boned us and we flipped the truck.. no injuries except now i have back pain often. (i am only 25).. never been hurt offroad. i think there is more control off-road than on-road.

like everyone else above me said.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:28 AM
JK Jedi

Niether (maybe should be in your poll). However I think I feel safer on the trail than in typical rush hour traffic.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been in one accident.
A blue haired lady pulled out in front of me and a friend that was on another motorcycle.
She was making a left and decided to try and make it in front of us, but halfway thru the turn she decided to stop! I went over the hood and my friend t-boned her. So ya I think wheelin is a little safer, although I do have limited experience.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Never been hurt in ann accident.

But this is what I think when I mulled it over.

I do believe your chances of being hurt or in an accident are great while on the paved road.

But if you look at off-roading as a whole it is inherently more dangerous. For example while on the paved road there is little if any chance of getting stuck in an off camber predicament where a high lift jack on unstable ground is needed. Meaning getting unstuck can in itself be dangerous.

What about roll overs. I believe they are more likely in off roading than on paved roads. Oh yes they do happen but more likely while off roading.

Now with all that said..taking due caution while off roading can make it as safe as a Sunday drive.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by woody_k
Never been hurt in ann accident.

But this is what I think when I mulled it over.

I do believe your chances of being hurt or in an accident are great while on the paved road.

But if you look at off-roading as a whole it is inherently more dangerous. For example while on the paved road there is little if any chance of getting stuck in an off camber predicament where a high lift jack on unstable ground is needed. Meaning getting unstuck can in itself be dangerous.

What about roll overs. I believe they are more likely in off roading than on paved roads. Oh yes they do happen but more likely while off roading.

Now with all that said..taking due caution while off roading can make it as safe as a Sunday drive.
All good points, but please remember that not all off-roaders tackle crazy terrain like you see on TV.

I can count the number of times I've been concerned about rolling on one hand, but I try to err on the side of caution, because I'd rather have to say "no" to an obstacle than replace my daily driver!

Quick Reply: Vehicle Related injuries