Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Waxing Question (for stupid me)

Old 01-20-2007, 08:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waxing Question (for stupid me)

I waxed the Jeep the other day for the first time, and the results look great on the painted parts, but on the flares and handles and anything black plastic, the wax that was close to the edges of the paint rubbed off on the plastic either when I was wiping on or buffing off. How do I get the white off the plastic. Do other people take some precaution against accidently getting some on the plastic (like masking tape)? What do you recommend?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

you may want to get it to a power wash ASAP and try that.. it worked on my previous trucks when the youth group used shoe polish on them..... but dont wait till its permanent... then it sucks to get off.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Go grab a bucket of water and dawn dish detergent. Dawn will break it down for you, but remember it will remove the wax from the painted parts also
Old 01-20-2007, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

I use Black Magic Wet Shine liquid wax. It wipes off the plastic parts very easily, but it is a little tough to buff out.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

i always used to use and eraser to get that dried wax off, works great!! and then some sort of tire stuff to keep it lookin great
Old 01-20-2007, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
I waxed the Jeep the other day for the first time, and the results look great on the painted parts, but on the flares and handles and anything black plastic, the wax that was close to the edges of the paint rubbed off on the plastic either when I was wiping on or buffing off. How do I get the white off the plastic. Do other people take some precaution against accidently getting some on the plastic (like masking tape)? What do you recommend?
I dont use paste wax anymore for that very reason, and its too much work. Its not a ferarri its a jeep, so I just use the spray wax as U dry stuff, doesnt last as long, but lasts long enough if you wash it every week or two, and it doesnt ruin the plastic.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

I don't use wax anymore because of the white powder after it dries. I like the new stuff like the new turtle wax ICE synthetic polish. If you try that, you'll never use anything else again. It's ok to use in sunlight and on those hot days. You do all the paint and plastic surfaces and you apply it like water with a sponge. I actually did all the plastic flares and bumpers on my new black Unlimited X with that stuff and the dirt washes off like magic now. I want to try it on the freedom top next time, it think it's going to work great for that too!
Old 01-20-2007, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the "spray on the wet jeep" stuff also, Mcguires Quick Detail. It does not stick to the black plastic either. I try to wash the jeep everyweek or so and it lasts for atleast a few washes.

Marc

2DR Black Sahara
Old 01-21-2007, 02:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

A roll of blue painters tape does the trick. I can't get away from old fashioned wax jobs.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

The white residue is a result of the silica that is put in most common waxes. If you want a wax that is not going to do this, order some zaino from zainobros.com. Best stuff I have ever used in my life. If you want a cheaper alternative that you don't have to order from the internet, try turtle wax ice. It is the only store bought stuf I have ever seen that does not have silicas in it. Used it on my fiancee's old s2000 and it had great results.

Quick Reply: Waxing Question (for stupid me)