Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

what to check/replace after deep water/mud?

Old 06-17-2008, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to check/replace after deep water/mud?

ok i changed my front n rear diff oils with mobil 1 and my engine oil looks good
i've got a manual tranny so how do i check the oil and what about transfer case and clutch and id there anything missing that should be checked after a deep mud hole?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Shane,
Could this question be in regards to swamping it at Rausch Creek?
Give me a call when you are heading back up.

Later...
Old 06-17-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rzrectd
ok i changed my front n rear diff oils with mobil 1 and my engine oil looks good
i've got a manual tranny so how do i check the oil and what about transfer case and clutch and id there anything missing that should be checked after a deep mud hole?
Check the air box for mud. Examine the diff breathers to insure they are open and are not plugged with dried mud. Check the radiator and condenser for mud in the fins. Check the cooling fan for operation (turn on AC and look). Check behind the water pump pulley for mud.

Jack up the rear and spin each wheel. Lost of sandy grinding noises mean you (or someone) needs to disassemble and clean out the parking brake drum and shoes.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Red face

ahhh yes that sandy grinding sound thats what i get so i gotta clean out the brakes just figuring out how to disassemble the caliper it seems a c clamp just wont do anymore. as for everything else i changed out the front n rear diffs oil and the tranny fluid and hosed off both sides of radiator, and maybe theres another shane that got stuck in milkshake @ Rausch Creek and looks like me and whose jeep smelled like toilet water and took a week to clean it out......
Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 PM
JK Newbie

Mine smells too... and I found tadpoles swimming in the little squares on top of the airbox cover when I went to check it. Freaky.

I'm due for service and I'm scared what the stealership will say when they see all the dried on clay film under my hood everywhere and in my radiator..

I've scrubbed three times with soap and this clay won't go away..

What do I do?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

if your using your home garden hose its not enough pressure, i took mine to the local do it your self car wash where they have the power washer and foaming brush you might need a lotta singles for the chane machine but it gets the job done and might even have to go back a couple of times. for future reference wash n wax your vehicle b4 u go offroading it makes clean up easier
as for the fender flares, use "303 protectant" on your plastic parts like the bumpers, fender flares ...etc... for stained flares spray it on then use a lite scrubbing pad and they come out like showroom....
Old 01-06-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Wow this is a old thread but I recently had me electrical system checked by a computer diagnostic machine and it said there was a .5 amp draw at the starter so it recommended checking for loose, cracked or frayed wiring and or dirt on the connections so I went under and found my starter covered in old mud at the connections and the whole damn starter.
Guess I gotte clean the starter and electrical connections.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Default Other fluids?

I drove thru a pretty deep puddle (creek) the other day and everybody i know has different advice... everything from "change every fluid in the Jeep" to "meh it is made for that." I guess i need to know what do i really need to do?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...hmentid=126838

Old 02-13-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have not extended your axle diff breather's I would change your diff fluids and then extend your diff breathers & your tranny, transfer case as well.

I just change my Diff fluids if I get into some deeper mud/water puddles and rinsed out the engine bay, cleaned my airfilter.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Default well that was expensive

i changed the differential oil both front and rear, transfer case, and transmission. No signs of water in any of them. maybe next time i will just check them.

Quick Reply: what to check/replace after deep water/mud?